Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW! >

BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW!

Notices

BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW!

Old 08-09-2002, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried it and it slowed 2mph and had less bow lift. Handling was not as good.

MACKLIN does that sound anything like MACKIN?
Old 08-10-2002, 08:34 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On all three boats the trim indicators are the same and located in the same place; the trim ram.
My props spin in!

I'll try trim out to 6 today in some flat water. I'm sure it'll slow me down, but I gotta try it. . . .again.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Kentz, you are using the exact same trim settings as me - on flat water. I do not need to trim up as high in chop, which is where she really likes to run. I am just not seeing those kind of speeds....yet. I now know that my stock props are not for s**t. Can not wait to get mine labbed and then see what she will consistently do, especially when the air cools down a bit.

All three of our 340's are set up exactly the same except for the gutted exhaust tips. I can not believe that that would make much difference, but maybe so.

Yes Mackin is way too similar. Macklin is my mom's maiden name...wonderful woman she was!

Going boatin!
Old 08-10-2002, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here in the weeds..... and reading. Scooter's in the house!

As far as refuting your story, what's the point BillR. You already testified that I am ahead of you and my GPS and handheld report the fastest speed out of our three (actually the GPS reads 80.x, just over 80). BTW, that was with no K&N flame arrestors, labbed props or any performance mods. Your 79 is with all the afore mentioned mods and you still look at and hear my exhaust pipes.

It's all in good fun but as I mentioned before, my opinion is that the windscreen makes the boat look badass and more in line with a real performance boat, besides it seems to go faster... Maybe it's operator error that you can't seem to catch me.

Scooter out

Last edited by Vyper340; 08-10-2002 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:20 PM
Kentz

Dave Are the K&N's woth the money?

Macklin, what do you mean "gutted exhaust tips" do you mean removing the Corsa fixed plate or did your boats have that closed-end 2" orifice?

From a low-end of 76 to a high of 80 is probably normal as the hulls are popped from the molds. The PQ340 is still in the top 5 in this size range, with those speeds, with stock power.

Old 08-11-2002, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the K&N's for cost... they clean the air as opposed to the old flame arrestors, so if you care about that and not losing any performance, buy them. Otherwise on these new engines, don't waist your money.

On BillR's and mine we had the factory special order the "gutted" exhaust with no baffles or restricter plates. Macklin decided to go with the standard offering which we felt would offer some resistance to free flow. It appears that BillR and I were correct.

BillR - Maybe it's all that extra paint on the hull slowing you down! LOL If you want, I'll help you scratch it again, errr, I mean put her on a diet.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree...78 or 80...that's still pretty darn fast for an 8000+ pound boat with stock power. Around here it's seldom that we even get a chance to run those speeds anyway. The real benny is being able to run 50-60 all day at only 3500-4000.

The K&N's are worth the money if only to get rid of the whiny ass sound the stock flame arrestors make at lower rpm's. That is on my winter chore list. Just paying to gas the girl up every weekend is about all I can do right now!

The silencer tips (on the back of the transom) have a metal plate inside them that I guess is for additional sound baffling. Bill and Dave ordered theirs without the plate. To be honest I can not tell much difference in the sound, but the theory is that it further enhances performance. Does anybody have any proof of this?

I agree with you Kentz, the differences are probably more in the hull characteristics and the fact that every motor has slight variances in horse power...up to 10% either way I am told.

Last edited by Macklin; 08-11-2002 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:07 PM
Kentz

My 97 and this PQ are equipped with CORSA tips. My 97 had 45 deg. angle cuts, the new one, I ordered Straight w/flappers. The CORSA brand is unique in that they use a flat circular plate about 1/8" less in circumference than the tip ID, no moving parts to fail. I believe these are there for reversion. Most other mfg's use a spring loaded carek (sp) butterfly valve inside the tip for reversion. I did see some late model 38's with what appeared to me to be 1 1/2-2" whole at the very end of the tip. The tip itself was sealed off except for the whole. WTF?

So, your tips are straight through with nothing?

Old 08-12-2002, 02:10 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My tips are Corsa Tips. They look exactly like all the other Corsa tips. They have no internal baffling nor do they have the plate at the end. They DO hace the Carek reversion valve up in the tip though.

They are somewhat louder.

Mac,
you need to ride on my boat at WOT; you'll hear the difference.

This winter I may remove the Corsa tips for tips that are smooth on the outside, and not tapered in steps like the Corsa's.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-12-2002, 03:19 PM
wms

OK Bill, quit bragging about your s**t and ship my props off will you!!

Quick Reply: BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.