Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW! >

BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW!

Notices

BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW!

Old 08-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW!

Thanks to BillR for letting me try out his labbed props today. They just arrived back from York and we threw them on my boat to see what they would do. I have not been happy with my stock Bravo 28P props. Typical rpm's in this heat is 4800 on the starboard side and only 4700 on the port. Actually had me concerned. Well, I now know that my props need work. In 80 degree heat we saw 5150 on both motors. WOW! The engines were humming like I have not heard before. Top speed was an RCH below 77, but that was into a steady breeze on smooth water. And the hole shot was markedly improved.

Will be sending my props off to York next week!

Happy Camper!!
Old 08-09-2002, 10:46 AM
Kentz

Have been running my Yorks all season. Picked up a flat 200 rpm over the stock 28's. I assume you had a light load, your limiter is 5150. The best I've seen is 5000, cool weather and light load. This is fresh water.

I still get a little blow-out coming on plane, but nothing I can't live with.

OK, so of the three new HRPA 2002 340's, whose is the fastest, don't tell me you haven't ran them, my money is the "windsheildless" Vyper340

BillR, say it isn't so

Old 08-09-2002, 12:03 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's how it is:

Vyper 340's boat (W/o windshield) has the fastest run. On the GPS recall, he is at 80MPH. Mine is at 79 MPH. I have not run mine with JUST myself in the boat and a light load.

Now virtually very time I've run 340 Vyper across the bay, I have very slooooooowly pulled ahead. He'll NEVER admit this, but it is fact. In fact I ran him last weekend. I had two people on board, he was alone, we had about the same amount of gas, because we both filled up for the poker run. We both make the same run and thus burned about the same in gas. We both had stock props. But back to the run, after running about a mile or so, I gained about 3 feet on him.

I haven't run Macklin's boat, but his is slightly different; he has mufflers where mine & Vyp's don't.

Now when Vyp see this post. . . . . expect a different story. Right Scooter!!

BTW: I drove Macklin's 340 last night; It felt completely different from my 340. I was running full throttle, trimmed out to 3.75 -4 (this is where my boat runs the fastest. . . .Vyper 340's too I think) and was not getting much on speed. Macklin says he get more speed trimmed out real high, so I started to trim up and all of a sudden the boat just TOOK OFF like someone kicked it in the arse. My boat does not do this regardless of trim. Kinda strange for almost identical boats.!!??

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 08-09-2002 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Kentz

Well of course, 340vyper will have a different version, but you had two people, slightly more fuel, your bimini and canvas are stored in the boat, you had a full ice chest, he had just washed and speed-coated his bottom, and............................................... .....................................

way to go Bill!

ps. I don't see much difference in speed @ 4000 or less between 3-4 trim. But I can tell 5-6 @ 4500+ (2-3mph) I don't think the rear step is even a factor at that point. I think most folks tend to over trim a stepped boat.

Old 08-09-2002, 01:23 PM
wms

This is getting good!! Can't wait to see Scooter's reply!!

Kentz, what do you mean by "But I can tell 5-6 @ 4500+ (2-3mph)" Is your best setting at WOT 5-6? How about other guys with 340's....post your optimum trim setting at WOT.

Like Bill said, my optimum setting at WOT is 6-7 depending on sea conditions. Admittedly, I was a little excited last night when I was typing....we did see 5150 when I trimmed it up to almost 8 to see if the props would break loose. To my surprise they did not. I saw well over 5000 at 6-7 (on smooth water) which I was very happy with. The rev limiter did not kick in so I would be interested in checking the tachs against a DDT, if I get the chance.

Last edited by wms; 08-09-2002 at 01:32 PM.

Old 08-09-2002, 02:27 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My boat will lose speed if I trim over 4. This was verified w/ a digital read out gps.
Maybe it's the x-dimension.
How do you measure it????

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 08-09-2002, 05:27 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Could it be that you guys have different style trim indicator cable hookups? Some attach to the gimble area and some attach at the ram. The readout between the two systems is totaly different.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:26 PM
Kentz

wms - If the water is flat, yes my best settings are 6-7. It seems my boat needs a LOT of time to eek out that last 200 rpm (2-3mph). This is on FLAT water. Trying to run at those settings in anything over a 1' chop scrubs speed. I don't think our steps do anything for us over 1' chops. Currently, normal load for me is at least two people and 1/2 bag gas, i consistenly get 79gps and amazingly, 80 on my pitot-speedo @5000.

My drives indicators are on the rams, aren't they all? I've also set my tabs @ 2, level w/bottom and leave them, the hull seems to set back on them when I'm trimmed above 5.

My experience on my 260 and with the 340 is PQ has extremely aggresive X-Dim. I can't imagine PQ not having a standard template for all the different hulls, MK you still around?

Old 08-09-2002, 07:39 PM
Kentz

Quick question for ya, do all your 340's spin "in". How about 38's?I'm sick of people telling me that's "unusual" . They "usually" stop saying that after chasing my stern all day

Isn't "in" for stern lift?

Old 08-09-2002, 09:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 38 they spin in. RH Rotation on Port drive. Anyone try to spin them out for kicks?

Quick Reply: BillR let me try his lab props today - WOW!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.