Notices

Big Power

Old 05-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PQ260SX
Speaking of stepped hulls, I have asked this before, but didn't get a response. Does anyone know if they ever moved the steps on the 340 like they had to with the 380, or were they the same throughout?
Myself personally have no idea.....
Old 05-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bringing thread back to the top! ive been doing some thinking and will see what I wanna do after I see results with my fresh motors but my 97 hull might be fun to throw some bigger power at, in the near future! keep my factory 502's for resale and find some other motors and start building to drop in it down the road! was thinking some ls type power! 6.0's with turbos. roughly 700 hp a side should be plenty of torque to get on plane and have some fun with the rpms! yes it might be a waste of time but sure would be cool to have a 90 mph 380 running around!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Thebossbultsma
bringing thread back to the top! ive been doing some thinking and will see what I wanna do after I see results with my fresh motors but my 97 hull might be fun to throw some bigger power at, in the near future! keep my factory 502's for resale and find some other motors and start building to drop in it down the road! was thinking some ls type power! 6.0's with turbos. roughly 700 hp a side should be plenty of torque to get on plane and have some fun with the rpms! yes it might be a waste of time but sure would be cool to have a 90 mph 380 running around!
I will be refreshing engines in my 2000 380 this winter, prepping them for prochargers with a slight bump of HP to the base motor, and installing a set of Bmax out-drives i picked up. See where that takes me.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's sweet I would love to hear how all that turns out! I love these 380's just wish they build bigger then 380, but beggars cant be choosers so ill take what I have AND have some fun with it!

gimmie what do u have in you 380 right now?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Thebossbultsma
that's sweet I would love to hear how all that turns out! I love these 380's just wish they build bigger then 380, but beggars cant be choosers so ill take what I have AND have some fun with it!

gimmie what do u have in you 380 right now?
Twin 502 MPI. Going through and doing some thorough maintenance right now because it sat a couple years before I bought it. Then I will be trying some props as ones that came on it are mis-matched. One appears to be labbed and other appears stock. Engine revs reflect this. Starboard engine will bounce on limiters while port is at 4900. I also have a bad trim indicator on starboard and that drive trims faster than port so there is some issue too. I ran it yesterday and trimmed to match rpm. I have a set of 29p Hydromotive and a set of 31p Mach sterndrivers to try for s*** & giggles. Running 28p Bravos now. Factory performance report said it radared at 71.8 with 28p Bravos. It appears I have an early 2000 hull with a bit of hook in the stern yet. I will probably end up shaving some additional lifting strake off like Wildman1 did with his 99.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:09 PM
Registered

Well, the boat hated the 31p Mach's. Boat would almost get on plane and just blow them out. Didn't matter tab position or if gentle or hard throttles. They were awesome looking props and I thought they would have worked well. Lots of rake, good sized blades, some good cupping, lab finish, and full 15.5" diameter......nope!

29p hydromotive should show up this week. See how those work although after the mach failure, not sure since similarly shaped props. We will see. I have a set of lab 30p bravos offered to try as well along with some 32p bravos.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:44 PM
Registered

mine ran 26 bravo1 4 blades. The factory swore it was the best prop and the hull was designed around it. They have the best bow lift which is what these hulls need. Hydros are more of a stern lifting prop, probably wont work but give it a shot. There have been a number of new props come out since then, I would do some research and see if any are designed for bow lift. Did you place a 4 straight edge on last 4' of running surface? It will tell you how much of a hook you have left.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmackin
mine ran 26 bravo1 4 blades. The factory swore it was the best prop and the hull was designed around it. They have the best bow lift which is what these hulls need. Hydros are more of a stern lifting prop, probably wont work but give it a shot. There have been a number of new props come out since then, I would do some research and see if any are designed for bow lift. Did you place a 4 straight edge on last 4' of running surface? It will tell you how much of a hook you have left.
I need to do that with the straight edge. I can tell you though, the hull breaks free with trim at 6-7 on indicators. I did some testing on the trailer and figured out at 5 the shafts are level with hull. I can understand how the people who say they run at 3 on indicators have bow steer issues. Still negative trim at that point. I was out in some good ole Great Lakes snot this weekend and running trim at 7 experienced no bow steer what so ever. Boat took the waves awesome. With current props I can run 61 gps with the sticks at 50%. If I push them to full slip just goes up with rpm and minimal speed gains. Still have a bunch of experimenting to go but loving this boat more and more every time I run it!
Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 PM
Registered

I loved running mine directly into the waves head on or trailing seas. Ride was awesome. In confused seas which Lake erie is most of the time or quartering them and having to hold a heading to get somewhere is when i wanted to sink or light it on fire some days. Lol. Sounds like you are close, just dont spend too much on power and props till you get the bottom work done first. They are great boats, enjoy
Old 06-05-2016, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
I will be refreshing engines in my 2000 380 this winter, prepping them for prochargers with a slight bump of HP to the base motor, and installing a set of Bmax out-drives i picked up. See where that takes me.
I have a 99 380 Avenger. In the winter of 99 my son and I put Stainless Marine headers on the 502 mpi's this took the boat from 68 mph stock to 72 mph withthe headers also change the air intake. Winter of 2000 put stage 1 pro charger on the mpi's. Boat radar gun at 88 mph but took off to the right with 3/4 throttle left. That summer I kept blowing the top bearing out of it so in the winter of 01 I bought two 500 EFI's and said the hell with it. The boat now run 82 mph on the gps with 1/4 tank of fuel and two people. Above 80 she will start to chime walk trim out. The boat runs flat. The factory redid the bottom and blueprint the bottom. If I were you stay away from the pro chargers or you will get good at changing drives.I am now running 30 pitch lab merc props @ 5200 rpm's

Last edited by Wildman1; 06-05-2016 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Addition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.