Notices

Big Power

Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Power

It seams as if many if not all of the other performance manufacturers have at least 1 or more of their larger models that are running 1000+ hp per side. So my question is is there any 380's out there with big power? I know the poker run editions have 525's but I have never heard of anyone with anything more than that. Is there a reason no one has done this? What kind of performance are you guys with the 380's getting and how do they handle at speed? Is this a hull that would be capable of 120+ with bigger power?
Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend has an 03 with 525's, and he has said it chine walks a bit near 80. I'm not sure if there were changes later. Like most PQ's, the hull was originally a straight design, then they cut steps in it.
The other reason, in my humble opinion, is that any money you spend on power upgrades in a PQ is not value added when it comes to sale time. It's unfortunate, but seems to be true.
I really feel the 300 would be just fine at 100 or more, but you probably wouldn't get a dime of the $$$$ it would take to get it there back in the end.
Nobody in there right mind plays with boats as a good investment, but it seems to be worse with some brands. No respect, unfortunately.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Registered

The concencus seams to be the 300 is the best hull to come from Powerquest for sure. As far as upgrading power I'm not sure if you get a return on your investment on any boat if you put in $100,000 in engines and upgraded drives to handle the power. Maybe an Apache or possibly even a Saber might be an exception to this rule since they are pretty rare and coveted by offshore purists. Fountain, Cigarette, and even Outerlimits I would think would not bring enough money to justify the expense of adding big power, you would be better off buying one that someone already put the money into for allot less than it would cost to do it your self.

I was just curious because I've Been reading a couple threads one a Velocity and the other a Black Thunder where the guys were putting in big power and had never heard of anyone doing it with a Powerquest. I guess the chine walking aspect really puts a damper on trying to do it.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Trust me... unless you are in love with the boat, sell it and buy one with bigger power... upgrading power will nickel and dime you a few thousand over budget, true story
Old 05-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ajfisher
Trust me... unless you are in love with the boat, sell it and buy one with bigger power... upgrading power will nickel and dime you a few thousand over budget, true story
What's a few thousand over, just a couple weekends of OT right?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

The 380 only chine walks if over trimmed, that is when they get squirly, twin stepped boats are designed to run flat and not squat on the transom like a straight bottom boat. A lot of operators forget this fact and trim too high trying to get that loose feeling like a traditional straight bottom and that's where the ride quality gets compromised.

NeedforSpeed is running over 600 hp I believe with his 575's and is over the mid 85mph mark, might even be right on the door of 90mph. To me that is pretty impressive to do, then tie up make popcorn, grab a beer from the fridge, and stretch out with the air on.
I believe if Powerquest was still around and had invested some time on the bottom, with the new Merc power plants 565 EFI's it would of been an even better combo. Now what about a 38 with 700's and sixes hanging off the end? That would of been an awesome combo.
Justmy opinion for what it's worth....
Old 05-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by verbi69
The 380 only chine walks if over trimmed, that is when they get squirly, twin stepped boats are designed to run flat and not squat on the transom like a straight bottom boat. A lot of operators forget this fact and trim too high trying to get that loose feeling like a traditional straight bottom and that's where the ride quality gets compromised.

NeedforSpeed is running over 600 hp I believe with his 575's and is over the mid 85mph mark, might even be right on the door of 90mph. To me that is pretty impressive to do, then tie up make popcorn, grab a beer from the fridge, and stretch out with the air on.
I believe if Powerquest was still around and had invested some time on the bottom, with the new Merc power plants 565 EFI's it would of been an even better combo. Now what about a 38 with 700's and sixes hanging off the end? That would of been an awesome combo.
Yes, and maybe the Avenger would be called a 400 or so with staggered engines too.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Registered

Speaking of stepped hulls, I have asked this before, but didn't get a response. Does anyone know if they ever moved the steps on the 340 like they had to with the 380, or were they the same throughout?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by verbi69

That would be an awesome combo for sure. To have a boat that will run right at or above the century mark and have the cabin and cockpit space that the Powerquest's provide along with all of the amenities would be an awesome package. Why don't you be the guinea pig and drop in a pair of 700's and 6's or better yet arneson's and let us know if it's worth doing.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JWay
That would be an awesome combo for sure. To have a boat that will run right at or above the century mark and have the cabin and cockpit space that the Powerquest's provide along with all of the amenities would be an awesome package. Why don't you be the guinea pig and drop in a pair of 700's and 6's or better yet arneson's and let us know if it's worth doing.
I would love to do a 700 combo but the fuel requirements would kill me, besides I'm looking at cruisers now so it won't be me doing the upgrades.
It's time to pass the candle on......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.