Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
Trim Tab Fluid Leak? >

Trim Tab Fluid Leak?

Notices

Trim Tab Fluid Leak?

Old 09-09-2002, 07:39 AM
matrin

Default Trim Tab Fluid Leak?

I have a 2001 280 Silencer with the std single ram tabs. Im having problem with fluid leaking out. Without the tabs it makes it almost impossible for me to get the boat on plain. Have any of you ever had this problem? Is this a PowerQuest or Mercruiser warranty issue? Thanks for any input.

Martin

Old 09-09-2002, 10:59 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That boat has Load Leveler trim tabs. Look in your owners kit for the company info and call them.

However this makes no sense: "Without the tabs it makes it almost impossible for me to get the boat on plain."

I had the same boat (and I drove one this weekend), that boat hardly EVER needs tabs for anything 'cept ROUGH water or to level the boat bue to balance or wind on the beam.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also had this problem with my 2000 290. Every year I have blown out one of the rams, the first year it was the port side outer one, the second year was also the port side but it was the inner one. Wow guess what this year I blew out the starbord side inner one. The first year PQ took care of it with the warranty, the second year they did it again, but this year I am on my own. Luckaly this is cheap thing to fix I beleave about $40.00 or so. I have come to the conclusion that it should be a std exp. feature to put K-planes on the 280 and bigger boats. I will say every time that i've bown them out, it has been at the LOTO on a holiday weekend, and I do launch the boat out of the water, so what are we to do. If I decide to keep this and not buy a 34 I'm going to look into the price of K-planes to be added.

If it was me I would call my dealer and try to get them to take care of it and if they give you slack call PQ dirrect and speak with the warrenty dept. After all what do you have to loose, just two phone calls.

At first I did have a hard time putting the boat on plane, but after three attempts I was able to figure out how to drive it without tabs.

Good luck
Old 09-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Registered

Default Trim Tab leaking

Martin,
I have my 280 in the shop right now for the same problem. One of the hoses came off the ram and I ended up pumping out all fluid. Knowing that you bought your boat out of state, I suggest you take it to David Wade Marine off Highland Road in Baton Rouge for repair. He has done all my work and will work with Powerquest to get them to pay for any warranty items. Give him a call, 225-752-3789.
The problem you are having not being able to get on plane without using the trim tabs should not be happening. That is unless you have a boat full of people. I have no problem getting on plane with 4 or less people in the boat. You could have the wrong prop. I have some free time this coming Saturday if you want to get together and chat. You can email me at [email protected].
Old 09-09-2002, 04:00 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the number. The company is Boat Leveler
314-385-7470.

Hope this helps.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 09-09-2002, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matrin,
What prop are you running? If I remember right, you bought a 2001 that I looked at last year. Did that boat come with a three blade or four blade prop? Our boats don't like three blade props!! The boat should be able to get on plane easy enough. I got my boat on plane this weekend using one of Bill R.s' 28 Bravo 1. Took a little longer, but got there!!

I have a problem with my tab cylinders leaking as well. I called today (about an hour ago) and spoke to Don at Insta-trim. Explained my problem to him. Not only is he going to send me new cylinders, but he is also going to upgrade me to the newest model. This is what customer service is all about!!!!!!!
Don (Insta-trim) = 314-385-7470
Jon
Old 09-10-2002, 12:17 PM
matrin

Thanks for all of your help. I just called the trim manufacture and explained my problem and they just told me that they would send two new units to me today. Dave just asked if I would send back the old ones. When I receive the parts I will change them out. Problem solved.

As for the plaining issue I had 7 people in the boat with appox 3/4 tank of fuel. We were in rough water and I had to go with the waves to get boat up. The boat came with a 3 blade 23p Mirage. Would this prop be the problem? How many people should I expect to be able to take on the water without having problems getting out of the water? Engine=502mag mpi

Martin

Old 09-10-2002, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Matrin,
That boat should have a Bravo 1 four blade on it. I think a 24 would do it. It's a step bottom with a higher x than a standard v bottom. My 260 is a non step and it has a Mirage plus three blade.Try a four blade you will like the difference! I even tryed a 24 pitch Bravo on mine, it would only pull 4600 rpm but it got on plane good and I liked the way it handled. So on your boat it would be even better. That's my two cents
Old 09-10-2002, 01:58 PM
Registered

My 1999 280 had the 502 and a four blade 24p Bravo 1 - I can't believe anyone would try a 3 blade on a boat that size. Figure 5000 lbs for the boat, 75 gallons of fuel at ~6 lbs a gallon - 450 lbs, 7 people at 150 lbs average is another 1050, misc gear / coolers, say 100 lbs.

5000 + 450 + 1050 + 100 = 6600 lbs, and you're trying to get it on plane with three little dinky blades on the prop. I'm guessing even a 4 blade would struggle with that, you had a heavy load.

Still, a 4 blade 24p B1 is what that boats comes with from the factory. Start there, and BillR can give you all sorts of info on where to go regarding labbed, Hydro vs Bravo, etc.

My boat would struggle a bit with 4 people and a full tank / coolers / etc. Took a while to plane out. With the 24p B1, I ran just over 5000 rpm with a light load, 65-66 mph on the GPS.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:14 AM
Registered

Jon280,

How Did that 28 Bravo work on your 280? I would be curious of the results....

Let me know.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Trim Tab Fluid Leak?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.