Hard Starting PQ >

Hard Starting PQ

Notices

Hard Starting PQ

Old 09-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Hard Starting PQ

I own a 93 Conquest with a 454 mag carb. After the boat sits a while its very hard to get started. Just dosen't seem to be getting any gas. If I spray some starting fluid in she starts at the first turn of the key. Not sure if maybe it's the fuel pump, or maybe a vacum leak?? Other than that seems to run very well and re-starts are no problem.

Thanks Brian
Old 09-29-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I take it you have a Quadrajet carb. When my boat had the Q carb it did the same thing on saturday morning after sitting all week. I had to crank and crank while pumping the throttle. It would always fire but I sure didn't like it. When I changed to the 950 HP HOLLEY carbs the problem went away. I assumed the problem was the carb boiling dry while sitting all week. If you put in an electric fuel pump plumbed in paralel with the stock one it should solve the problem. All you have to do is turn on a switch to start the pump before you turn the key all the way to start. Feed the switch power from the run side of the key switch.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

Thanks much! I had a local shop tell me the exact same thing. He mentioned they had a spacer kit along with a shield to solve the problem.

Thanks again
Old 10-09-2002, 10:04 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a '93 you probably have a Weber carb. There was a thread about this same problem a year or so ago. No one really had a good solution, it just seems to be an inherent problem with that carb and some of the Q-jets as well. I have a '93 Baja with a 7.4L Carb engine. Mine does the same thing. I thought about going to an electric fuel pump but decided it was just not worth it since you only have to deal with it the first time you start the boat for the weekend. It always starts good after that. What I did was figure out a routine that minimizes the problem and maybe helps in another way as well.

This the drill; Crack the throttle a little, crank the motor and count slowly to 15. Stop. Pump the throttle 3 times and wait about ten seconds. This gives the fuel that was just pumped into the intake some time to vaporize. Set the throttle slightly above idle and hit the key. If it does not start right away, pump the throttle until it does. It usually fires right up.

It may seem like you are cranking excessively but, while you are doing that you are also starting to create oil pressure in the engine. Not a bad thing after letting the motor set for a week or more. Kind of a poor mans pre-luber. I run both batteries when I do this so the starter has good voltage. I don't worry about wearing out the starter either. They last a long time in a car and they get used a lot more than they do in a boat.

Your other alternative is EFI.

Good Luck, Doug
Old 10-10-2002, 08:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Doug. I went ahead and ordered a electric fuel pump. At $75.00 I figure what the heck!! Beside I've got to winterize her this week and that will give me an excuse to get out of the house while the snows falling to pay a vist and dream of warmer wheather. Pending we don't get a lot snow, otherwise I got get the Ski-doo fired up.

Thanks Brian
Old 10-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

75$ is not bad if it does the job. Let us know how it works. Maybe post your results on the tech forum so more people can see it. Not everyone reads the owners forums. I am sure a lot of people would like to hear about it. Good Luck.

Doug