Powerplay XLT 185 Fuel Tank Install >

Powerplay XLT 185 Fuel Tank Install

Notices

Powerplay XLT 185 Fuel Tank Install

Old 03-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerplay XLT 185 Fuel Tank Install

Anyone on the forums still into Powerplay XLT 185s? Great boats and I love mine but last summer my aluminum fuel tank started leaking. It is fiberglassed under the floor in the front of the boat and not easily accessed without removing the deck lid and cutting out the floor. Does anyone on the forums have any experience replacing the fuel tank on these boats? I'm debating if it would be less work to leave the original tank in place and install the new tank under the floor and in between the stringers in the cabin area. However I don't know how much room is available under the cabin floor until I cut out section to measure. Anyone have any recommendations on the brand or type of fuel tank, plastic vs. aluminium? I'm in Michigan and it is still difficult to find gas without ethanol around here.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interested to see responses on this. I just bought a PRISTINE 88 xlt 185. The fact that the tank is in the bow really, really concerns me. Like you said, with the fuel these days, it's only a matter of time till I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you.

How did you determine you had a leak?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you pull the seats and remove the kick plate and pull it out that way? Also is the fuel tank loose? I looked at an xlt last summer and the fuel tank came loose and could move around which put holes in the tank. Also because the tank was loose the fuel line that is under the floor had a few holes worn in it. The fuel line was clamped to the stringer with no rubber gasket between the line and clamp, so you had metal to metal contact. When the fuel tank move around it wore holes in the line and the owner had gas in his flotation foam and he had to pull the floor out scoop out the foam. I'd pressure test the fuel line if it where me.