Bimini storage? >

Bimini storage?

Notices

Bimini storage?

Old 04-20-2021, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bimini storage?

I cannot for the life of me figuire out how to store the bimini in the engine compartment. Bimini was on the boat when i bought it of course and now want to store it. Ive tried putting the legs in first but they hit the transom before clearing the seat. Does anyone have any pics of theirs stored and tips for getting it stored? I really dont want another garage ornament!! Boat is a 1998 260 legend sx 502
Old 04-20-2021, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 180 Posts

On my old Velocity 280 I cut about 16 inches off the longest legs, inserted and pinned solid aluminum rod in one side leaving about 3 protruding. The folded Bimini could then be stored in the engine compartment. To put up I inserted the cut off section into the aluminum rods and fastened with push pins.

Padraig
Old 08-06-2021, 09:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 862 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by bdbwtie
I cannot for the life of me figuire out how to store the bimini in the engine compartment. Bimini was on the boat when i bought it of course and now want to store it. Ive tried putting the legs in first but they hit the transom before clearing the seat. Does anyone have any pics of theirs stored and tips for getting it stored? I really dont want another garage ornament!! Boat is a 1998 260 legend sx 502
Bdbwtie,

I don't have any pics, but, on my 280 Silencer, the bimini is hung on two straps over the exhaust and two straps on either side, just behind the rear seat. It is kind of a puzzle that, quite honestly, we haven't really figured out. We always end up getting it out and back in, but it's like solving the puzzle for the first time every time. The best I can describe it is to thread one leg of the bimini in around the hatch lift and tuck it under the gunwale, up into the space beside the seat, far enough so that the other leg will slip past the gunwale on the other side, then center it up and hang it. The bimini looks like it is sitting on the exhaust, but it's really not. We are going out this weekend, I'll see if I can get some pics of the setup and post them.

Thanks. Brad.
Model Machine and Precision LLC
(937)545-8991
Old 08-06-2021, 11:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Bdbwtie,

I don't have any pics, but, on my 280 Silencer, the bimini is hung on two straps over the exhaust and two straps on either side, just behind the rear seat. It is kind of a puzzle that, quite honestly, we haven't really figured out. We always end up getting it out and back in, but it's like solving the puzzle for the first time every time. The best I can describe it is to thread one leg of the bimini in around the hatch lift and tuck it under the gunwale, up into the space beside the seat, far enough so that the other leg will slip past the gunwale on the other side, then center it up and hang it. The bimini looks like it is sitting on the exhaust, but it's really not. We are going out this weekend, I'll see if I can get some pics of the setup and post them.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Thankyou!! I think I am following you steps. But if you could get some pics that would be a tremendous help! My brother is really getting sick of storing it in his barn!
Old 08-06-2021, 04:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 643 Likes on 298 Posts

How long are the legs...and how 'short' is the engine compartment? The bimini on my Baja 252 Islander easily fits, there are a couple of brackets on the side and a 'U-hook up front on the back of the rear seats that cradles the main body of the bimini. If simply not enough space in the engine bay (!) then as noted above, you'll need to make some sort of collapsible feature on the leg(s) that currently don't stow. I'd simply take some measurements and see what you have to work with...good luck and keep us posted.
Padraig (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 10:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Thankyou!! I think I am following you steps. But if you could get some pics that would be a tremendous help! My brother is really getting sick of storing it in his barn!
bdbwtie,

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 08-06-2021 at 10:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bajaman (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 07:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
bdbwtie,

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Thank you! I was always thinking it went in with the canvas side towards the seat! Do you have to remove the lower leg that pivots? That seems to be the hold up on mine as its quite longer than the rest when folded.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Bdbwtie,

Keep in mind that mine is a 280, not a 260, and there could be subtle differences….

We don’t remove anything. Just lay it in with the pivoting legs on top, so they don’t fall away and complicate the process of threading the bimini in there.

Like I said, we turn the whole thing sideways, with the canvass toward the side, tuck one leg behind the hatch lift, thread it across to the other side, rotating it as you go (canvas toward the back), tuck the leading leg under the gunwale, far enough that the trailing leg will slip past the gunwale on the other side. Once both legs are below the gunwale, center it up, hang the legs, then hang the canvass.

Do you still have three straps? I could definitely see them being removed at some point if the previous owner never put the bimini away and thought the straps were in the way or whatever.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 08-26-2021, 10:53 AM
Registered

I do not have the straps anymore so that probably had a lot to do with why I couldn't figure out how it went it! Guess I will be looking for some straps first!
Old 08-26-2021, 01:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I do not have the straps anymore so that probably had a lot to do with why I couldn't figure out how it went it! Guess I will be looking for some straps first!
Bdwtie,

I'd call a vinyl shop and see if they could fab you some up. Pretty sure that's all mine are.

You do have the anchor points, right? Mine are just 1/4 turn dzus fasteners.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.