290 Chine Walk....again >

290 Chine Walk....again

Notices

290 Chine Walk....again

Old 01-06-2023, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts
Default 290 Chine Walk....again

I know this has been done to death but I am still looking around for answers on the 290 and the chine walk issue. I was wondering if maybe the twin big blocks were the problem but they sold later 290's with the LS package (correct?) and also made a few with a single engine so I'm thinking weight is not the issue?
I have been told that the turned down chine at the very rear was it however at WOT I don't think they are even in the water and beyond that I don't see how they "introduce" chine walk. If they do, then why did they keep on building the boat with them? I thought they were there to help an "underpowered" boat get on plane faster.
My latest thought was making the bottom most inner strakes reach farther back towards the transom. They terminate quite a ways up. I know it may take away from the rough water ride but in my mind it would give the boat more stability. You'd think there could be a balance in ride and stability. Maybe this idea doesn't work at all?
I was asking about props in a different post about switching to a 5 blade instead of 4 blade to help further reduce chine walk because going from the 3 blade to 4 blade made a huge difference. Someone that owned a 270 said he installed IMCO shorty drives that were 2" shorter and it took care of his problem.
Should I assume that PQ looked into all of the options to settle the boat before deciding on a new hull that is only 1 foot longer and cost twice as much? I don't plan on going 100 mph in mine but the low to mid 70's without fear of being thrown out of the boat doesn't seem like a lot to ask. I think the last time I saw them for sale the add was for 70 mph for 70k. Maybe that was with the 6.2's?
Anyway, still looking for answers and idea's. Thanks
Old 01-06-2023, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Older bajas had similar chine walk, shorty lowers solved it on them also. The drives are too deep and have too much leverage over the hull is my thought.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
I know this has been done to death but I am still looking around for answers on the 290 and the chine walk issue. I was wondering if maybe the twin big blocks were the problem but they sold later 290's with the LS package (correct?) and also made a few with a single engine so I'm thinking weight is not the issue?
I have been told that the turned down chine at the very rear was it however at WOT I don't think they are even in the water and beyond that I don't see how they "introduce" chine walk. If they do, then why did they keep on building the boat with them? I thought they were there to help an "underpowered" boat get on plane faster.
My latest thought was making the bottom most inner strakes reach farther back towards the transom. They terminate quite a ways up. I know it may take away from the rough water ride but in my mind it would give the boat more stability. You'd think there could be a balance in ride and stability. Maybe this idea doesn't work at all?
I was asking about props in a different post about switching to a 5 blade instead of 4 blade to help further reduce chine walk because going from the 3 blade to 4 blade made a huge difference. Someone that owned a 270 said he installed IMCO shorty drives that were 2" shorter and it took care of his problem.
Should I assume that PQ looked into all of the options to settle the boat before deciding on a new hull that is only 1 foot longer and cost twice as much? I don't plan on going 100 mph in mine but the low to mid 70's without fear of being thrown out of the boat doesn't seem like a lot to ask. I think the last time I saw them for sale the add was for 70 mph for 70k. Maybe that was with the 6.2's?
Anyway, still looking for answers and idea's. Thanks
The 70 for 70 promotion was with twin 7.4L's.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
How did they get an extra 7-10 mph with the same engines I have (had)? They must have taken out a lot of weight.
Old 01-06-2023, 11:47 AM
Registered

Interesting that if that indeed is the problem why wouldn't PQ look into that? Actually could have been great marketing to offer a more "performance" drive. Also waaaaay cheaper than the direction they took killing the 290 altogether.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 763 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
How did they get an extra 7-10 mph with the same engines I have (had)? They must have taken out a lot of weight.
As I've stated in previous threads, I've got a buddy with a '97 290 that came with 7.4L's and the only mods to the boat are the truck cast iron intakes were replaced with RPM Air-Gaps with 4150 Holleys with the choke towers cut off (tuned by Nickerson) and the stock 25" Mirage Plus props were worked by BBlades. Runs right at 70 MPH with zero chine-walk. Another buddy had one of the 70 for 70 boats new and I think it was new enough to come with the 7.4MPI's (L-29's) and he never complained of the boat being ill-handling. Something is wrong with your hull and/or setup. I've ridden in my buddy's 290 many times both on our local pond and at LOTO. Boat simply does not chine walk. I'm sure you could induce it by over-trimming or if you were to toss more power at it at some point it would need full hydraulic steering and a set of 280's like many hulls. Those wedges in the hull at the stern between the chine and first strake really should be left alone and should not be the cause of your issue.
Old 01-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 238 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
nope was with small bocks
Old 01-06-2023, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 238 Likes on 118 Posts

I've owned 3 and I have quite a few hours of R/D in this issue (also discussed with numerous PQ employees )lol

and like I replied at all the other threads " it is what it is " you will not be able to get the chine walk out of that boat, at times you will think you fixed it and next time you drive it just right and it will chime walk,

of also owned a couple of 300s and it's a totally different boat/hull not just a foot longer
Old 01-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Registered

The best I ever ran with the 25" 3-blade props was 63 mph on GPS. So mine's a 95. I looked at a 99 down the street and noticed that PQ changed to a 3 stringer system instead of the 4 stringers mine has. Is it possible that they made other subtle changes to the hull? What are your thoughts on my idea of adding a foot or so to the bottom lifting strakes? Also, I don't plan on doing anything with the turned down chine at the rear. Was just pointing out that someone thought that was the reason for the chine walk. It rides great now but that is only at 60mph. I'll have to see how it handles this upcoming season with the new power and go from there. I already have the full hydraulic steering and not sure about the larger tabs. Maybe. There was a guy on here claiming wild speeds and no tabs at all. Thanks for all of your input.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:37 PM
Registered

So the 70 for 70 was the 6.2's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.