Notices

280 Silencer Bilge Pump Replacement

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 955 Likes on 553 Posts
Default 280 Silencer Bilge Pump Replacement

Guys,

It's been determined, though not confirmed, that the bilge pump in our boat has taken a hike. Neither the dash switch nor the float switch powers the pump. I took the boat to a reputable shop, and they have replied that they don't think they can get to it without pulling the engine, which seems nutz to me. Having worked on the boat some, I can confirm that getting "down there" is a serious PITA, but I'm almost 54 and not nearly as flexible as I used to be. I'd think a shop with a useful spider monkey mechanic could get to it. The rest of the boat is well thought out, so I can't imagine PQ just tossed the bilge pump to the wind and designed the layout so that the engine has to come out to change it. I've spoken to Neil Wallace (current owner of PowerQuest Powerboats), and he confirmed it shouldn't be THAT hard. We've been doing business with this shop for years, and I have no reason to believe it's just a money grab. We've got the removable side panels on either side of the engine well that are there to keep stowed items from finding their way against the exhaust.

I'd assume if these are removed (at least one of them), it would make access to the bilge pump easier, right?

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; Yesterday at 09:40 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree, I would think removing a side panel should give enough access to get under the motor to switch it out.
I know on my 290 with twins I can see mine but can’t touch it, I replaced it when I had the motor out this winter. Otherwise I think I would have had to remove an exhaust manifold to access it.
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by swellcraftman
I agree, I would think removing a side panel should give enough access to get under the motor to switch it out.
I know on my 290 with twins I can see mine but can’t touch it, I replaced it when I had the motor out this winter. Otherwise I think I would have had to remove an exhaust manifold to access it.
Swellcraftman,

Speaking with Neil Wallace, his words were, "It's a single. there should be plenty of room."

I'll probably stick it out until fall breaks and we put it away for the year. Then I'll pull the side panels and the batteries and see what I can see. Really not looking forward to it. I was sore for three days after changing the spark plugs. Yup. I'm an out-of-shape wuss.

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
swellcraftman (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 332 Likes on 155 Posts

Brad, I know different animal but this was my experience. Have a 270 Laser/502. I removed the side panel to replace impeller. Once the sea pump and bracket were out of the way I could get to bilge pump and replace it. Still was difficult but doable. Several years ago I put clevis pins and clips on those side panels so they could be easily removed for service.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by liberator221
Brad, I know different animal but this was my experience. Have a 270 Laser/502. I removed the side panel to replace impeller. Once the sea pump and bracket were out of the way I could get to bilge pump and replace it. Still was difficult but doable. Several years ago I put clevis pins and clips on those side panels so they could be easily removed for service.
Liberator,

Thanks for the insight.

Shouldnt really be that different, I wouldn’t think. As I understand it, the only significant difference between the 270 and the 280, hull wise, is the step. I don’t think there’s much of a difference, externally, between the 496 and the 502. Seawater pump still in the same place, right? Starboard side, front, down low? Is the bilge pump under the front of the engine? I know I have not been able to get a line of sight on it, near as I can tell. Not with the side panels in, at least.

Thanks. Brad.
Old Today, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 332 Likes on 155 Posts

Yes, sea pump is down low on starboard side.
My bilge pump sets on a pad just in front of crank pullies.