340 runnin' Hydromotives >

340 runnin' Hydromotives

Notices

340 runnin' Hydromotives

Old 01-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 340 runnin' Hydromotives

As some of you know, I have had a heck of a time trying to get my 28 Bravo 1's dialed in. Had them labbed and did get my rpm's way up (on the rev limiter in fall air), but lost a solid 5 mph off cruise and not much top end gain. More importantly, they are more than 100rpm apart which is a major hassle working the sticks at cruise to get the rpm's matched.

I am now talking to Throttle Up about having them MRI my props to get them correctly dialed in. They have a set of Hydomotives (27 I think) they want me to try. BillR tried a set and had a problem with blow out which he attributes to the fact that they had non-flared hubs. Does anyone have any test / performance numbers with these props on the 340 with 496/502??

thanks guys.

Last edited by Macklin; 01-12-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have any specifics for your application. but There is an article in PowerBoat Mag about 5 blade props. The prop is called the Maximus and is made by Mercury. The thing gained in every catagory accept top speed.

I have also heard that the Hydromotive 5 blade will produce similar results. Better cruise or midrange speed, but overall lower top end.

I am looking at two stes of props. One for every day boat use (cruise speed) and one for Poker Runs (top end). I do not think the perfect prop exits.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, almost 50 views and only one reply. Thanks h20. I will definitely find out more about those props.

Let's expand the search. Is anybody runnin', or tried, anything other than Bravo 1's? And I'm talking twin step 340's.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:34 PM
Kentz

Spoke with Gary @ Hydromotive (here in OH). He did not recommend any of his props for our hulls. Said we'd be 1-2 mph faster on top end, but loathe the holeshot and cruise. Diffuser ring or not, He didn't want to sell me a prop that all-around I'd be disatisfied with. Aside from Fountains, I don't know anyone else around here running hydro's on twin V applications.

I took him at his word, and stayed with BRAVO's. Seemed to be a class-act.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I also talked with Gary a couple of years ago he told me the same thing. I had a chance to try some 28 Hydromotives and I could not get the boat on plane. I tried everything I could think of I even stuck four people up into the V birth No way it just blew them out. This is on a 38 so it's not a direct comparison.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hydromotives

Macklin,

Great advice and experiences have been posted. Gary is truely a man ofintegrety. I would indeed agree that Hydromotive is a class act group of professionals! They have countless hours of testing under their belts and I personally trust them and there info. So lets talk about some other options. We have all heard that Mercury is coming out with 5 Blades, the Maximus. 5 Blades run extremely well on Cats but not consistant, positive results on V's. Hydromotive will soon be offering a Prop which will compliments V's, along with providing bow lift! Bravo's of course always work well as most of you know. There is also another potential option. We have developed a custom prop which works very well on V's and Cats! We are about 2/3 rd's thru our testing and will have definative results very soon! I will keep you all posted on this.

Macklin please feel free to call me and we can specifically look at each of these options.

Please feel free to call us with any questions that you may have about your Powerquest's or any other boat!

Julie
Throttle Up Propellers
877-842-6855
www.throttle-up.com