Bottom work on 2001 Avenger >

Bottom work on 2001 Avenger

Notices

Bottom work on 2001 Avenger

Old 01-18-2003, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom work on 2001 Avenger

Being the speed freak that I am, I would like to know from anyone with info regarding blueprinting the bottom of a 2001 38 Avenger, including any info from Mr. Powerquest. What can be done and what is the cost? Is it worth it? Is there anything to measure to see if it would worth it? Is there a hook in the 2001? I've had the boat a month and VERY happy with it, I just try to perfect everything (personality flaw ). I am purchasing a second set of props from Houston Propeller's to get extra MPH at top end and keep the current props for cruising but I would also consider bottom work if it is worth it. I currently run 79MPH at 4900rpm whether It's full of fuel or close empty with the current props, which is not enough, but, they cruise at 70MPH at 4200 so I want to keep them for family cruiseing. This boat WILL hit 85 by the time I'm done. And then, Procharger's .
Old 01-19-2003, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quest, I will be trying out props this spring for the exact same reason. I have yet to break the 80 mark in my 340 while the other two in our club have. 496HO's running 28 bravo's.

Just curious what engines and props you are runnin?

BillR is the 'perfectionist' in our group. He has gone to 30 bravo's, switching to staight exhaust tips, and is considering a Whipple Stage 1 upgrade. It will be interesting to see what he gets with that.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starting in 2000 they put a good size rocker in the bottom of 38's. Mine was a 99 and had a hook, so it was really bad. Handling sucked and top speed of 65. After 3 times they finally got it straight and ran real good. 71+ and handling was good. I have not heard of any problems after the rocker was put in.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quest, you can disregard my question. I just read your post in the technical section about labbing.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:01 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See my response in Tech

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 01-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Registered

Bill, thanks again for the reponse on the other thread. I will try to post some pics and soon. I just figured out how to use my new digital video camera and need to get some pictures of the boat. I will also let you know how the performance tests go with the props. I would still like to know if there is any need to blue print the bottom if anyone has any info?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try talking to Mark Winea @ PQ, he would know. I know Rod has done some bottom work on his 38.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

speed

Quest for speed: I have a set of prochargers that I want to sell if you want to go faster. I personnally think you should have bought the 500efi when you bought the boat. All of your problems would have been solved if you had the right motors in it. I know from experience. Spended to much money trying to do the samething you are trying to acheive. Been there and done it. Headers, props prochargers in the end the only thing that counts is raw hp. 99 pq avenger with 30 pitch props is running 82 mph with two people in it and 1/2 tank of fuel. Going to 32 pitch props this spring because I have some rpms left. Hoping to get maybe 1or 2 mph out of the props. Had the bottom rework in 2000. Boat rode a little better but didn't help speed. If you want more speed spend big bucks is the only way. Wildman 1
Old 01-21-2003, 10:31 AM
Registered

Wildman, I do have 500efi's which run great. I'm trying to get the best performance I can with them. Once the warranties run out I will look into engine mods. Just currious, why you are selling the prochargers and how much?
Old 01-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Quest for,
Just my opinion and trust me it's just a assumption but I think they have done all they can do with the bottom design as far as speed goes. It is a 38 that runs 80 with 500HP's I'm thinking that’s pretty respectable. The only thing I ever noticed that might help a tad is that none of the trailing edges are sharp If you had to play with the bottom that is all I would mess with and even with that you may not gain anything. I still may have that done to mine someday. My edge off the pad is sharp but I'd like to see my step edges the same way. They did a lot of work on mine (Long Story That I Will No Longer Talk About) and I did find that my speeds increased and became a lot more stable I can now hit a constant speed without having to wait for that perfect fall day when the Moon is in the correct orbit lined up with Pluto on a tuesday
Keep in mind the work done on my boat brought it close to the design of the newer model hulls including the removal of a couple of hooks and the addition of some rocker. I don't think and I'm sure all the other guys in the same boat (pun intended) that you will see 85MPH (GPS) with your power. Put on a whipple or whatever floats your boat (hey another pun) and then you can start to look at the higher speeds.
Enjoy what you have and worry about the other crap when the warranty runs out.
BTW I am running somewhere around 550+ per side and have still not seen 84 but my hull is not quite as efficient as yours.

Quick Reply: Bottom work on 2001 Avenger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.