transducer in 38

Notices

transducer in 38

Old 06-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transducer in 38

Hi all,

I installed a lowrance lms-320 gps/sounder this weekend in my 2001 stepped 38 avenger. Unfortunately I didn't pick a good spot for the thru-hull transducer. Works fine at idle and partially up on plane before losing readings altogether. My guess is because of the steps aerating the hull. I installed the transducer just in front of the starboard engine (hey, at least it was easy to get to!).

Have any of you ever installed a thru hull transducer at got it to work? If so, where? Does anyone know where the factory mounts the transducer for the built in lms 3500? Can you get to that spot with an assembled boat?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 06-30-2003, 04:32 PM
Registered

RWoods, soory you picked a poor spot. I personally would have mounted the transducer INSIDE the hull. You need to mount it in a location that will have contact with the water at all speeds. You need to use a slow cureing epoxy and make sure you get all the bubbles out. It will work 90% as good as a through hull in deep water and work perfect in shallow water. I have a 2001 Avenger as well but never looked for the transducer. If no one else has an answer on the stock location I will look for you.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:20 PM
Registered

I guess I should clarify - it is a shoot through hull transducer that I put in - it doesn't actually mount through the hull, just on it so to speak. I epoxied it to the floor under the back seat in front of the engine. I think because of the stepped hull, there is no clean water under it. Therefore I was hoping someone could recommend a better location.

Mine has the factory in-dash sounder as well, but I could not find the transducer. I'm guessing it must be under the cabin. In front of the first hull step would be my guess, but I don't think there is any way to snake a wire to there.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:30 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we are all waiting for any manufacture to come up with the ideal spot to put it on a step hull boat. My 280 with a single step mounted from the factory does the same thing yours does. Not sure if there is the perfect spot more so than a different type of transducer that works on step hulls.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:22 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the location the factory picked in my 98 380. It will only work at an idle. (sorry about my crued photoshop)
Attached Thumbnails transducer in 38-copy-2-pq-rebuild-052.jpg  
Old 07-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Registered

Hi Scott,

That is almost exactly where I mounted mine, same problem. I couldn't find the transducer for the factory lms-3500. It definately was not in the back of the boat. I guess I'll try to move the new one back further, but I'm not sure how far I can go with the engines in.

Robert
Old 07-01-2003, 09:23 AM
29Fever

In my Fountain it was mounted under the carpeted step that lead into the cabin (in front of the step in the hull)

I'm not fimiliar with Powerquests, but there has to be a way for water to drain down the keel to get from front to back right?

Old 07-02-2003, 10:05 PM
G.HAVERDINK

HERE'S THE ANSWER:
Does a depth finder need to work over say 15-20 MPH ? If you're running faster than that in a suspect shallow water area you are asking for punishment. If you're running faster than 20 MPH - who cares what the water depth is!

Old 07-03-2003, 06:28 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by G.HAVERDINK
HERE'S THE ANSWER:
Does a depth finder need to work over say 15-20 MPH ? If you're running faster than that in a suspect shallow water area you are asking for punishment. If you're running faster than 20 MPH - who cares what the water depth is!
Only one place this type of logic comes from

Last edited by Scott; 07-03-2003 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:02 AM
Registered

Originally posted by 29Fever
In my Fountain it was mounted under the carpeted step that lead into the cabin (in front of the step in the hull)

I'm not fimiliar with Powerquests, but there has to be a way for water to drain down the keel to get from front to back right?
Interesting question - how does water (if it happens to get in the front of the hull) drain past the steps? I guess the obvious answer is that it can't, so it is possible that the front of the hull on any stepped hull boat could be carrying water if it ever happened to get wet. I wonder why they don't put drain plugs in the steps?

Quick Reply: transducer in 38

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.