38 Powerquest...

Notices

38 Powerquest...

Old 12-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 38 Powerquest...

I'll validate what Macklin stated. Three late model 340's with 496HO's and they were every bit of 78-80 gps. One of the three (Vyper340) did get over the 80 mark once or twice in the right conditions, and if I'm not mistaken, BillR popped it once with labbed set of either Hydro's or Bravo i forget which.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you mean 'were'?

Actually BillR used to regulary kill the 80 gps speedo (spring and fall air) with the merc labbed 30's that got me to 80 the one time I ran them.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
Ya I need to pay the money I just havent done it yet, I will this weekend. Scott and Sara bought a 94 35 Cafe' and he had the motors done to be 515HP ea. It sounds and runs good, but luckaly not faster than mine we run the same at this time. Do you know where there condo is? Sara just hapens to be here talking to Cathy and told me that there slips are c-3 and c-5 she said call them Scott will probably want to get out since she is having a baby in Feb. and may not make it out much next year.
You have mail. let me know when you and Scott want to meet in Mahomet. I may or may not be going down to the lake next weekend. I have plans tomorrow but am around Sunday.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:09 PM
My Appointment

Sounds like if you want to go 80 mph without spending an arm or leg you stick with a vyper and if you want to camp you go with an avenger. By the way Macklin, I was over to look at your boat probably 5 years ago at Toledo Bay. At the time it was out of my price range and I bought 34 without the step up at Anchor Bay. Now I bought my new 38 from Colony Marine just north of there. It's a 2002 and have been very happy with it.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by My Appointment
Sounds like if you want to go 80 mph without spending an arm or leg you stick with a vyper and if you want to camp you go with an avenger. By the way Macklin, I was over to look at your boat probably 5 years ago at Toledo Bay. At the time it was out of my price range and I bought 34 without the step up at Anchor Bay. Now I bought my new 38 from Colony Marine just north of there. It's a 2002 and have been very happy with it.
I do not want to start an argument, but with all said, a lot of this has to do with where you boat. I boat in hot humid LOTO weather, 660 feet above sea level and not good conditions for speed runs. Same thing for PWRQWST. In my experience of owning several boats (8) we are talking apples and oranges if some are quoting numbers in better conditions, like in sea water. My current boat sees a 5mph difference in performance between the two.

So 80 mph in one location may translate to 75 in another. Either way, if we are attaining it on stock Merc power we are doing OK. And regardless, we are all having more fun than if we weren't boating.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure what you mean. 5 years ago I was looking to replace my Baja 232 that burned up in the Boatel fire???

Mentalpause, no argument here. Salt water is faster...no doubt.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thats it I'm going to go to salt water, just once so I can say my boat ran 80

John was out of town all weekend probably will not make it to the shop now until January.
To much going on now until the first of the year. I will let you know though.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PWRQWST
Thats it I'm going to go to salt water, just once so I can say my boat ran 80

John was out of town all weekend probably will not make it to the shop now until January.
To much going on now until the first of the year. I will let you know though.
OK. By the way, the Miami boat show is the weekend before the St Louis show. They moved St Louis back later in Feb this year. I am taking a week off, going to the Miami show, then coming back and stopping by St Louis on Th on the way down to LOTO. I will then spend the rest of the weekend at the lake. Probably go the the Chicago show too.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hp500efi
not me but if I remember correctly, it is a 71-73 mph set up. The 500's are a better way to go but add more money. The 2002 has the better hull design.

Good luck.
Can someone please elaborate on the comment "The 2002 has the better hull design". We are looking for a 38-42' performance boat and the PQ seems like a good value but this comment is a bit troublesome. Would like to know what the changes were and how they affect the boats ride/speed/efficiency.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are refering to my 38 PQ? At Toledo Beach, right? I had a few lookers, where were you from? I think I remember a guy that bought a 34 instead. Congrats on new boat. Jim

Quick Reply: 38 Powerquest...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.