Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Off the shelf  Mercury Lab finished props.....??? >

Off the shelf Mercury Lab finished props.....???

Notices

Off the shelf Mercury Lab finished props.....???

Old 10-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Off the shelf Mercury Lab finished props.....???

I dont understand how they can do this.......I mean.....I thought when you got your prop lab finished you went into great and specific detail about your particular boat (model, year, wieght, engine power, drive etc) and what you want out of the prop (max top speed, better cruising, more bow lift, more bite in turns, better holeshot etc)........how can Merc offer an off the shelf Lab Finished prop without knowing all the variables???........doug
Old 10-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Off the shelf Mercury Lab finished props.....???

All that you are getting from a Mercury labbed prop is +300 RPMs from thinning the blades. They do not account for bow-lift through cupping.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Off the shelf Mercury Lab finished props.....???

I think it is fair to say that all businesses have there own distinct customer service and sales programs. But as savvy consumers, we strive to be informed consumers. I will say that when it comes to the servicing of your propellers, the more accurate the information is that you provide , the better your dial in work and experience will be. It is of our opinion and practice, hear at Throttle Up Propellers, that we establish your goals and take the steps to help you to achieve them. Remebering that we are not only blueprinting the propeller to the boat, but to the captain as well!

Julie
Old 10-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Off the shelf Mercury Lab finished props.....???

Of course Lab Finishing can and should be done specific to the application we are dialing in.

While at Mercury for 10 years, I saw many changes and improvements to the propellers Mercury developed. Having been involved in the process I feel it important to explain standard templated Lab Finishing.

Dennis Cavanaugh answered that question for me quite some time ago. Each and every propeller geometry has a "best" Lab Finished recipe. What this means is, the changes done to the prop during this "standard" Lab Finish, offer the best rewards in efficientcy, rpm and speed gain per the propellers original design. Many set ups can gain the best rewards from a standard Lab Finish. If the prop ran great in box stock but you want a little more rpm and speed, the standard Lab will most likely work great for you. Labbing is really about speed. It is the personel at Mercury Racing's responsibility (any propeller shop for that matter) to discuss the owners needs and boat configuration before suggesting the standard Lab or to go to another configuration.

Yes thinning of the blades is part of the standard Mercury Lab process, so is cup work.

We know standard Lab work won't work for everybody, that's why we have in depth conversations with our customers at BBLADES. Realize Mercury Marine is a big company and for business reasons must offer a off the shelf product. In respect for my old mentor and friend, prop genius Dennis Cavanaugh, I have to say he developed a damn good option!