hering 5 blades vs maximus 5 blades >

hering 5 blades vs maximus 5 blades

Notices

hering 5 blades vs maximus 5 blades

Old 10-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hering 5 blades vs maximus 5 blades

can anybody tell me differences ,and or experiences between the two and what can i expect from the hering with a high x dimention deep vee 35' fountain.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: hering 5 blades vs maximus 5 blades

These two props are very different regarding the rake angle. The Hering props have about an 18 degree rake angle compared to the Maximus with a rake angle of about 24 degrees.

This will effect the lifting characteristics of the prop. The Hering will tend to lift the stern more than the Maximus will.

Diameter of either prop will also play a role in the your final drive height and prop selection as well.

What year boat is your 35?

Matt
Old 10-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Registered

matt thanks for your reply 1997 single step my 30p lab maximus minus the defusor ring brought me to 109.9 mph from 104 before,im going to try a hering 32p 5 blade i just dont know what to expect.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: hering 5 blades vs maximus 5 blades

Hi mv35,

Nice talking to you. Glad to hear about your success with the Maximus propeller.

Besides the rake and diameter, the geometry in general is quite different. Take a look at the trailing edges of both props. You'll see big differences there. You will probably require more trim with the Hering.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Registered

What rpm are you turning at WOT? What is your gear ratio?

The Hering may make the stern feel light and the slip may go up. I was out in a 38 Super V yesterday testing both the Maximus and Hering 6 blade. We have been playing with diameter with the Maximus on this paticular boat. When we put the 6 blade Hering on the slip increased because this particular boat had been set up for the Maximus. Of course we could set the boat up with the Hering and most likely see an increase in top end over the Maximus.

The geometries are different but it's not something to concern yourself with. It's the rake difference that you are going to notice between the two props. Just be careful at higher speeds with the Hering as it's possible the stern could feel light.

Be safe testing,
Matt

Last edited by throttleup; 10-28-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Registered

I don't want to hijack someones thread but since it is over 3 years old.....Matt...Julie responded to another post that I made and said that the Maximus has the highest rake of the 5 blades. I was just wondering.. what is the rake on your CNC Bravo prop? I have a 25 ZX Donzi with a Pad and I have 850 HP and 840 Torque. I am running a 1.50 gear ratio and my prop shaft is 3 1/2 inches below the pad. This boat has a pad but no steps. The inner lifting strakes come all the way back to the transom. I am running a IMCO extension box and Imco -2 lower. How much rake can be added to a prop? I have run a few props but they were all wrong. The fastest was a Hydromotive 6 blade 29p (90.2 GPS 5400) but it handles terrible and would not hold the engine at all. The 5400 was not WOT...just all the drama that we could put up with the boat leaping and the stern popping up. I think I will end up with a 32 to 33 pitch prop in the end if I can get one to handle and get the BOW UP!!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Chris
Gold Member

The Hering 5 and 6 blade props come in two flavors; The Bravo series, which is a bow lifting prop, and the Offshore series, which is a stern lifting prop. I have a Hering 5 blade Bravo, and it definately does a good job of holding the bow up.

Best prop I have run to date.

http://www.heringpropellers.com/hering-propellers.php

Chris

Last edited by CB-BLR; 01-06-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Nice talking to you CB.
Let me know how the spacer testing goes and we'll talk more down the road.

502, space the drive down 1/2" and go with a smaller diameter 5 blade propeller with additional rake induced.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Chris
Gold Member

502 stang,

After re-reading your post... you definately need to lower your outdrive via spacers. The fact that it takes a 6-blade to even marginally hook up, along with the lack of bow lift says you need to go lower.

I have done spacer testing recently, with my prop shaft centerline starting at 3.5 inches below the keel. In half inch increments, I lowered the outdrive using spacers. Every time I lowered it, I picked up speed.

Attached is the spreadsheet I made.

Hope this helps,

Chris
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Prop Tables.doc (28.0 KB, 351 views)
Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
502 stang,

After re-reading your post... you definately need to lower your outdrive via spacers. The fact that it takes a 6-blade to even marginally hook up, along with the lack of bow lift says you need to go lower.

I have done spacer testing recently, with my prop shaft centerline starting at 3.5 inches below the keel. In half inch increments, I lowered the outdrive using spacers. Every time I lowered it, I picked up speed.

Attached is the spreadsheet I made.

Hope this helps,

Chris
What boat?? What power??? What prop did you end up with??

Quick Reply: hering 5 blades vs maximus 5 blades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.