Ideal props for 2006 Donzi 38 ZR 525's? >

Ideal props for 2006 Donzi 38 ZR 525's?

Notices

Ideal props for 2006 Donzi 38 ZR 525's?

Old 06-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Ideal props for 2006 Donzi 38 ZR 525's?

Harper 220,

You have stated the boat is a dog all around and especially getting on plane. I think you mean the props never ventilate or blow out when throttling forward while getting on plane, but rather hold the rpm down. This is rather different from what we have seen over the last few years with these boat. Most of these boats do get delivered with high X dimensions and prop ventilating issues. If fact we have found it to be an issue throughout the rpm band.

When we began propping the ZR's years ago the Bravo 1 was the state of the art propeller and worked very well. The B1 went on most every ZR. As wilh many manufacturers, drive height aggression over the recent past has changed set ups and prop selection. The Bravo 1's still offer great performance on these hulls with the correct prop shaft depth.

If you are lugging getting on plane and experiencing slow throttle response in the middle, the Bravo 1 propeller may still be an excellent choice.

I completely agree the drive setting is critical on these boats and determining your boating habits will determine the depth and prop choice.

The question is are you blowing out or lugging?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ideal props for 2006 Donzi 38 ZR 525's?

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Harper 220,

You have stated the boat is a dog all around and especially getting on plane. I think you mean the props never ventilate or blow out when throttling forward while getting on plane, but rather hold the rpm down. This is rather different from what we have seen over the last few years with these boat. Most of these boats do get delivered with high X dimensions and prop ventilating issues. If fact we have found it to be an issue throughout the rpm band.

When we began propping the ZR's years ago the Bravo 1 was the state of the art propeller and worked very well. The B1 went on most every ZR. As wilh many manufacturers, drive height aggression over the recent past has changed set ups and prop selection. The Bravo 1's still offer great performance on these hulls with the correct prop shaft depth.

If you are lugging getting on plane and experiencing slow throttle response in the middle, the Bravo 1 propeller may still be an excellent choice.

I completely agree the drive setting is critical on these boats and determining your boating habits will determine the depth and prop choice.

The question is are you blowing out or lugging?
It lugs and then it starts to blow out when rolling over, which then takes some working the throttles to get it on over. It's actually a BIG "PITA" and the old man won't like dealing with it after a while. Beautiful boat, but ridiculous getting it on plane and that's just with two people. Can't wait to see how embarassing it will be when there's a few more people on board... It just shouldn't be that much work...
Old 06-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

What you are experiencing is common in a small degree with many performance hulls. Meaning, ventilation of the propeller as the water distribution to the props changes with boat attitude. Yours is too exaggerated due to hull configuration and prop depth / location.

You will get many opinions on this. Mine is, first try a set of box stock 28 pitch Maximus propellers in the full 15 5/8" diameter(depending on center lines). Then we should talk. You may need to adjust the "X" and prop diameter to get the full load drivability you desire.

If you can't find any to test, we have them.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Registered

Donzi has spent a lot of time working with the ZR. Lot's of different props and drive heights. What you describe when getting on plane is typical for the ZR. I have been in a number of them when testing with Donzi and that's how they get on plane.

By lowering the drives you will address the issues with getting on plane. Through testing we found that moving the drive 1" from it's optimum position did little to the top end speed. It affected handling and acceleration more than top end. Donzi has been round and round with the Maximus prop with no success. They have tried every diameter and blade shape Mercury has sent them with no success.

The Hering 5 or 6 blade works well on that boat. Especially with the staggered motor configuration. I would spend the money on spacers to get the performance you are looking for.

The Bravo 1 prop works well. When we did the prop work for the Factory F2 boat they ran the Bravo 1 in races and the Hydromotive Quad IV for top end. The Quad IV was good for about 2 mph on the top end over the Bravo 1.

I've spent a lot of time at Lake X with the Donzi factory race team and boats testing many different set ups on both the F2 and SV boats. We have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Matt
Old 06-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

One other thing to remember is that we are talking about a pleasure set up and not a race boat. Weight and balance is different. Some blow out getting plane will still always be present.

Although the Maximus may not be your final choice, I believe it is worth trying on the pleasure version. Every identical boat is different. I believe you are looking for overall performance with ability to get on plane and cruise speeds being foremost, not top end. BBLADES uses a Maximus blade configuration Mercury doesn't use. It is something we developed at Merc Racing with our original Maximus design team in 2004 testing in Fond du Lac on Lake Winnebago. Mercury has chosen to use other blade configurations for production reasons I won't go into.

I agree with Matt in that drive depth is key on these boats. Lake X has been closed for a few years but I don't think Donzi has changed the X since then.

Try every prop you have the oportunity to try. Some may be a band aid but ultimately lowering the drive will most likely be the best step.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

harper you want to sell the herings?
call me 317.679.7223
Old 06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by racesdad
harper you want to sell the herings?
call me 317.679.7223
More than likely not after learning that these are more or less the best props for this particular boat.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

well if you do i will take them. matt and julie know there stuff at throttle up
trust me
mike