Prop for a Pantera 24 >

Prop for a Pantera 24

Notices

Prop for a Pantera 24

Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Prop for a Pantera 24

I've tried a Mirage Plus 25, Mirage 25 and Turbo 1 25 so far. Two people and about 20 gallons of gas.

Mirage Plus gave me a max speed of 68-69 at 4700-4800 rpm. Porpoised in the mid if you didn't drag some tab but not at WFO.

Mirage gave me a max speed of 72-73 at 5000 rpm. Porpoised the same in the mid and a slight porpoise at WFO.

Turbo 1 gave me 71-72 mph but bounced off the rev limiter. Similar handling to the Mirage but did do some crazy chine walking for a few seconds when the trim was trimmed in a little too far. Lesson learned and it didn't happen again.

I have been running with the standard mirage and overall I am happy. But I always wonder if it could be better.

I've found the boat to be VERY tab sensitive. Definitely has a lot of natural bow lift. I also have to drag the port tab more than I thought I would to run level, even at WFO. Also, running in boat slop I have to drag some tab(tabs about nuetral). Honestly it FEELS like a prop that had more stern lift would run the boat flatter and allow me to rise the tabs higher. But I could be way off there.

I love the boat so far but I would really like to run a consistant 70+ mph and 74-75 with the occasional light load. I would definitely like to be able to run harder in the slop. Less porpoising would be a bonus but not a huge deal. Boat has a bone stock 502 mag (415 hp). Propshaft is about 4 1/2" from the bottom of the boat.

I was thinking about trying a QIV or maybe a Bravo 1, although I heard the 24 didn't like the Bravo 1. Any suggestions?

And yes, I know I am trying to have my cake and eat it too!

Last edited by onesickpantera; 06-06-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Prop for a Pantera 24

On my 24 Pantera (496 HO Mag with Bravo Drive, I run a 26P 4 blade. It has made all the difference. Prior I ran a 25P mirage plus. Jeff
Old 06-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOu should really post this in the Panterasection. There has been a lot of testing on the 24. There are a few props that work well on the boat dependant upon your goals. The Hydro P5-X was the real surprize of the 05'. Joe really likes the QIV's on the boats.

Julie
Old 06-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jharran
On my 24 Pantera (496 HO Mag with Bravo Drive, I run a 26P 4 blade. It has made all the difference. Prior I ran a 25P mirage plus. Jeff
Jeff, did you run a 26 Bravo 1?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by throttleup
YOu should really post this in the Panterasection. There has been a lot of testing on the 24. There are a few props that work well on the boat dependant upon your goals. The Hydro P5-X was the real surprize of the 05'. Joe really likes the QIV's on the boats.

Julie
Julie, I have this posted in the Pantera section as well.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Noboat,
How are things up there on that big lake?

I ran a Mirage +, Turbo Vector, and Bravo 1 on my 1989 24' Pantera. The Turbo was the fastest but the B1 was the best all around. My Pantera only when about 63mph with a 330HP.

I have run Mirage +, and Bravo 1 props primarily on my 1997 24' Superboat. A stock Mirage + is faster than a stock Bravo 1 but it blows out too easy. The Bravo 1 requires a lot of trim to get the boat to run fast, but is pretty good over all.

This year I sent my 28p Bravo 1 to BBlades to tweak. A night and day difference after Brett work the prop. The boat runs fast with vary little trim and is vary stable. I only use my K-planes in the rough or with an un balanced load.
I have the same power as you, 502MagMPI, and with 2 people and 30gal of fuel, 75mph (gps) @ 4900 rpm...

I did also have a chance to try a Hydro P5-X. Great prop for these boats if you are willing to pay the big $$.
T-Mone has a 2005 24' Pantera with big power and runs a P5-X. I have run with T-Mone, and his boat handles the rough like no 24' boat I've seen. T says the 5 blade does help...
Old 06-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Registered

Pat things are good!

After speaking with Tmone and Jo today I want to try a B1 and a Quad IV. I keep getting mixed opinions on the B1 but I want to try it for myself. Jo said he ran a B1 on the Army race boat and it worked great.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noboat:

I tried a 25 QIV-X on my 28 Pantera single 525EFI and couldn't get more than 63. Have a 26 B1 Labbed and can get that to 69. My 24 B1 will get me to 73 but close to hitting the Rev Lim. I'm going to try a 23 P5-X from Hydromotive. To see what that does.

T-Mone really loves his P5-X on his 24 Pantera. You may want to try the same as T-Mone.

Ron
Old 06-07-2006, 09:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by noboat
Pat things are good!

After speaking with Tmone and Jo today I want to try a B1 and a Quad IV. I keep getting mixed opinions on the B1 but I want to try it for myself. Jo said he ran a B1 on the Army race boat and it worked great.
It does require a lot of trim to get these boat to run free in calm water with a stock Bravo 1, and the sweet spot is small before the prop will start to slip.
Your boat will run more stable in the rough with a 4 blade vs. a 3 blade for sure.
Like I said earlier, BBlades modified my Bravo 1 to give more bow lift with less trim and I am now vary happy with the B1 on my boat.
The Hydro P5-X has a different feel than a Bravo 1. The P5-X has more stern lift and also seems to lift the whole boat. I was also surprised that my boat was just as fast with the 5 blade as a 4.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Full Throttle 525
noboat:

I tried a 25 QIV-X on my 28 Pantera single 525EFI and couldn't get more than 63. Have a 26 B1 Labbed and can get that to 69. My 24 B1 will get me to 73 but close to hitting the Rev Lim. I'm going to try a 23 P5-X from Hydromotive. To see what that does.

T-Mone really loves his P5-X on his 24 Pantera. You may want to try the same as T-Mone.

Ron
Hey Ron,
Bummer that the new prop didn't work.
It sounds like a different receipt for labbing at 26 B1 would be the ticket.
Let us know how the P5-X works...

Quick Reply: Prop for a Pantera 24

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.