Labbed Bravo Vs Stock Hydromotive >

Labbed Bravo Vs Stock Hydromotive

Notices

Labbed Bravo Vs Stock Hydromotive

Old 07-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labbed Bravo Vs Stock Hydromotive

This Is My First Post On This Site , So Go Easy . The Following Are My Results On My 24 Ft 24 Degree Single B.b With Imco Box 3 Inch And A 2 Inch Shotie . I Have Raced This Boat In The Opa In P-5 And Placed 2nd In My Last Race . I Started Out With A Stock Hyd Ouad 4 28 Then To A Stock Bravo 1 28 And The Bravo Was 1 Was A Slight Tick Better In Cruise And Top End . Then I Bought A Bb Blades 28 And That Was My Fastest Top End Prop But I Lost Some Mid Range , Like 3-4 Mph . Then I Tried The All New Ouad 4 -x 28 And In Stock Form Was As Fast Top End As The Bb Blades 28 And Picked Up 3-4 At My Cruise Rpm ! I Have Bought 5 Props In The Last Year And The Quad 4 X Is The Best For Me And It Is Stock . The Bottom Line Is Labbing Cannot Give The Best Of All Worlds , The Reason Labbed Are Faster On Top End Is That They Trim The Trailing Edge Which Kills Your Cruise But Lets It Spin Faster
Old 07-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Labbed Bravo Vs Stock Hydromotive

Maybe ????
Old 07-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by racinfever
Maybe ????
Exactly! You're comparing two different props. Was the labbed Bravo 28 faster than the stock Bravo 28? Yep.

Now, would your new Hydro prop be faster if you had it labbed? Would a labbed Bravo 30(really a 29) give you more top-end than the Hydro and the same cruise? More cruise and the same rpm? I think you see where I am going with this. LOTS of variables.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Registered

That's My Point , The All New Qaud 4 X Out Performed The Labbed Bravo In Stock Form . I Picked Up My Cruise And Did Give Up Any To The Labbed Bravo One's ! Im Talking About 28vs 28 ........ The Quad 4x Is Totally Differnt From Quad 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Labbed Bravo Vs Stock Hydromotive

brt24,

Trimming the trailing edge does not make the boat faster. Yes it can allow the prop to spin faster in conjunction with thickness curves. progression and balance. It is a part of the equation and a precise part but not the reason the boat runs faster. All Labs are not created equal either. The best prop on your boat is the best prop on your boat. The same situation may not work on the next guys identical or different boat. Yes the X version is different than the Q-4. It was designed to compete with the Bravo 1. We have found it to run worse than some B1 stock props and better than some on different boats.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Registered

Brett, I Bought A Labbed 28 B1 From You And I Still Have A Stock B1 And We Measured Every Inch Of It And You Told Me By Cutting The Trailing Edge Slightly This Will Allow The Prop To Gain Rpm And Will Slow Your Cruise . You Do Great Work , I Just Found A Better Performing Prop Out Of The Box , And Saved 400 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Quad IV X prop differs from a Bravo in that it has some design characteristics that are common in a lab finished Bravo 1. That's why it's not uncommon that a stock Quad IV X can be faster than a Stock Bravo 1. Like any prop it has it's pro's and con's, faster on one boat and slower on another. There are almost always trade off's with props, increase top end, lose cruise speed, better plane off, lose top end, etc..

Trimming the trailing edge, referring to reshaping the trailing edge, can increase the top speed of the boat, we wouldn't do it if it didn't!!! It's just one part of all the work done to a prop to maximize it's performance.

Keep in mind that a lab prop is not a lab prop. A lab prop that performs exceptionally well on one boat may perform worse than a stock prop on a another boat.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Registered

I just got done labbing my own prop [ quad 4 x -30 ] and this is what I did .all blades not the same dia , so I made them all the same length, two were 1/16 long , so I trimmed the long ones , next I removed the cup on the outside corner of blade [ don't need any bow lift ] and then I thinned each blade to the exact thickness of the prop bb blades prop close to have the thickness .what will removing the flare ring do on my 4-x ?
Old 07-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brt24
That's My Point , The All New Qaud 4 X Out Performed The Labbed Bravo In Stock Form . I Picked Up My Cruise And Did Give Up Any To The Labbed Bravo One's ! Im Talking About 28vs 28 ........ The Quad 4x Is Totally Differnt From Quad 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually 28 vs 27
Old 07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Registered

yep , and I saved 400 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!