Revolution 4 X7

Notices

Revolution 4 X7

Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 AM
TWC
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revolution 4 X7

Anybody know when Mercury will offer the new Revolution 4 made with the Enteria's X7 alloy?

Any speculation on retail pricing?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Revolution 4 X7

Is there a reason why you want the prop made from their "new" material?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:53 AM
TWC
Registered

I'm not sure that I do, but I am curious about them. I'm hearing rumors they will be released soon.

I am intrigued by the prospect of a Rev 4 with thinner blades. Thinner blades may mean less drag and more speed, but perhaps more to the point for twin outboard owners like myself, it could mean lighter weight.

A typical Rev 4 in the pitches I run weigh 17 pounds each and produce a hell of a "clunk" when shifting my Mercs into gear.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be interesting to see what Mercury may do with the Rev 4. The new alloy is nothing impressive. It has poor elongation properties. I imagine they are using lower pitch props like the Enertia to test the material to see how it holds up before putting it behind higher horsepower applications.

Yes the Rev 4 is heavy. It has a lot of blade area which is a major factor to the weight.

The current Rev 4's can be worked to reduce the weight. Another cheap and effective option is to instal a rubber hub in the prop. There is a rubber hub designed for applications where the prop has a square bore hub design. The rubber hub absorbs much more shock than the current Flo Torque 2 plastic hub design. This may address the clunk you hear when shifting, or at least reduce it.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Revolution 4 X7

Actually there is a story to the development of X7. Too long to discuss and unapropriate in this context.

First, it is good stuff and you will see more of it in the future. The material has been tested and retested in other applications other than low horsepowers before releasing the Enertia line. As the folks at TU have been learning, creating new products take alot of time and effort. Failures will occur in areas you never dreamed of. (a few more blades left the hub than you ever thought possible, right?)

Next, definately don't hold your breath on the Rev 4 props getting X7 soon. There are issues with the shinkage. These these will get ironed out but not in a order that will include the Rev 4 in the imediate future.

These props run great on OB boats. The weight is what is causing the clunk when sfting. The rubber hub idea will help. Also, make sure the shifting linkage is adjusted correctly.

We have developed a great Lab Finishing propcess for these propellers. It will reduce the weight and improve the performance. The cost is only $320 per propeller.

If you would like to discuss the options and X7 more in depth, please give us a call.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:20 PM
TWC
Registered

Besides the Enertia, what other propellers might be made of the X7 alloy within the next twelve months?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Revolution 4 X7

I don't think you are going to see many of the old propeller lines moving to X7. Rather new offerings may emerge.

The old dies would need to be reworked to allow for the new metals personality.

This is a option being looked at though.