496 HO's water pump and thermostat >

496 HO's water pump and thermostat

Notices

496 HO's water pump and thermostat

Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO's water pump and thermostat

I have a 33 Baja w/ 2x 496HO's w/ approx. 60 hrs. Smartcraft started beeping at end of season. Advised today that I need a water pump and thermostat. Further advised not covered by warranty and that the engine has to be pulled? I know nothing,,,,does this sound right? TIA.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Registered

ttt
Old 05-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the bilge appears tight then you may just have to pull the engines to do the water pumps. the removal of the pump itself is a little involved due to all the attachments of accesories on that engine. you can remove the body of the pump without removing the entire pump, and then rebuild on the bench and reinstall. but you need the room to get in there properly. if you dont have it then you will need to remove the engines.

as for coverage ,it depends on the dealer or marina and how they approach the sceneario.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the thermostat, but you shouldn't need a new water pump with only 60 hours. Probably just a new impeller, and I would replace them on both engines. The entire pumps can be removed without pulling the motors in a 33 Outlaw, no problem. If you lost an impeller, the raw water system will need backflushed at the least.

You might want to post this somewhere other than prop talk.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Registered

They are a b1tch to get to - but pull the motors?? Wow ....
Old 05-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Registered

been there done that inspect your impeller and clean your oil cooler when that is resticted just a little it makes to much pressure ,sets off alarm
Old 05-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,892 Likes on 951 Posts

No way you should have to pull the engines to change the waterpumps or Tstats in a 33OL.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Easiest way to replace a water pump is with engine removed, but that is a LOT of work for a $40 part.

How much room is between your forward engine bulkhead and the pulleys? You will need a minimum of three inches to get ratchets in there, and pull the idler pulleys and the water pump assembly off of their respective studs/remove their bolts.

BoatFreak28 here on OSO has a 28AT with a 496HO. He has perfected a way to remove the impeller housing while leaving the idler pulleys and water pump mounting assembly alone.

I know its tough, and I don't know if it could be done on a Port side twin engine setup. You would definitely have to know where you are going.

An full service marina may be able to remove and replace an engine quicker that doing the second method above. Then, they have to check and re-align the engines which is another expense, but important to do as a regular maintenance item.

If they are pulling the engine(s) might as well have them give the flywheels, starters, oil coolers, and oil pan bolts thorough checks/once overs.

I have almost 2 feet between my engine bulkhead and the pulleys. I can swap out an impeller in about 15 minutes while at sea.

My buddy 3 miles away has a new 33 Outlaw. If I get the chance to peek under his hatch potentially tonight, I will post my opinion if it can be done w/o pulling the engine.

Quick Reply: 496 HO's water pump and thermostat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.