Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Variable Pitch Prop >

Variable Pitch Prop

Notices

Variable Pitch Prop

Old 06-25-2007, 02:49 PM
NoQuarter

Default Variable Pitch Prop

Has anyone heard of these? It had cams and springs, almost like a snowmobile clutch.

A guy on the lake was bragging last weekend about how it the only prop a high performance boat should have (he was in pontoon).

What are the pros and cons? I need some ammo in case I run into him again.

Thx

Tom

Old 06-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,
Sounds like your pontoon boat expert is referring to the Land and Sea variable pitch propeller. Like most of their products, it was a good concept but poorly engineered. They are notorious for throwing blades at high speed, usually taking your propshaft and carrier to the bottom of the lake with them. That's if you don't injure or kill someone with that flying blade.
After a few of these incidents, they were quickly outlawed by most drag racing sanctioning bodies.
The Aero Star was a much better engineered version done by some airplane engineers, who are used to working with variable pitch propellers. I haven't seen one of these in years.
These were limited application pieces, and their only performance enhancment is better acelleration. Since very few of us here on OSO are drag racing our boats (it's too hard on our already over stressed drives), they're pretty much useless to us.
We are interested in maximum top end, and their complicated, compromise blade designs and shifting mechanisms on these props makes them poor top end performers.
Regards,
Steve

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 06-25-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
NoQuarter

Thanks Steve,

Great info and history!

Thx

Tom

Old 06-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

<<After a few of these incidents, they were quickly outlawed by most drag racing sanctioning bodies.>>

Correct Sir!!! I used to run in DSRA (Deep South Racing Association) and they were short lived here too. Another problem with them was you could change shift ratios on them all the way up to 2:1, if I remember correctly. That means, you could crank the boat out of the water with a 14 pitch and then shift to a 28 pitch. Well, let me tell you, with a stout 2.5 Drag motor on an STV that isn't so bad. But, try that same maneuver on a Hydrostream or Allison and you will fill your pants with groceries in a hurry! Imagine your up on the pad and accelerating like a bandit and then - WHAMMO - another kick in the seat and the boat rolls over on the port rubrail at around 70-80 mph! Dangerous and as Steve said, prone to flying apart.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

We also had them at Mercury for year. We called them Power 2.

They were designed for stern drive and OB usage. They had a 6" pitch change travel. Problem was they needed maintenance and would fail due to carbon exhaust build up. Parts were expensive the overall performance improvements weren't that great. They faded into the abyss.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 335 Likes on 131 Posts

We used the Land and Sea prop back in 1989 +/- it was amazing, I had a 240 Marlin Ceareo w/Mag 454. Came out of hole @ Approx 19 pitch, then shifted up to 28. Land and Sea helped fine tune it at the time, If I remember correctly, w/stock prop we ran approx 73 mph, w/ L&S prop It JUMPED out of then hole, then topped out @ 81.

Did I mention it really was amazing how well it worked...
Problem was it didnt work for long, then it broke, wore etc...

@ Approx $800ea, at the time it was real pricey, for approx the 10-15 hours it lasted.

Too bad no one ever perfected it.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Croozin2
<<After a few of these incidents, they were quickly outlawed by most drag racing sanctioning bodies.>>

Correct Sir!!! I used to run in DSRA (Deep South Racing Association) and they were short lived here too. Another problem with them was you could change shift ratios on them all the way up to 2:1, if I remember correctly. That means, you could crank the boat out of the water with a 14 pitch and then shift to a 28 pitch. Well, let me tell you, with a stout 2.5 Drag motor on an STV that isn't so bad. But, try that same maneuver on a Hydrostream or Allison and you will fill your pants with groceries in a hurry! Imagine your up on the pad and accelerating like a bandit and then - WHAMMO - another kick in the seat and the boat rolls over on the port rubrail at around 70-80 mph! Dangerous and as Steve said, prone to flying apart.
Croozin 2,
Too funny and so true.......now imagine running side by side with somebody @ 100+ using one of these props knowing it could grenade into shrapnel at any time ...........that's enough to make you a little nervous ..........maybe they would have stayed legal if you could have put a kevlar bag over them like a TAH/TFH blower .
Have we met?? I last ran O/U and T/E with ODBA/KDBA/MSDB/Smokin' in the Cove/etc.? I had a purple and yellow Quartermaster.
Regards,
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Variable Pitch Prop-qmaster-2.5.jpg   Variable Pitch Prop-msdba-1-small-wince-.bmp   Variable Pitch Prop-qmaster-kdba.jpg  

Last edited by Steve Zuckerman; 06-27-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, cool pic of you racing.....I have never seen that. On another note, I was racing Andy years ago on priest.....he had a big baha with a single and I had that andretti with twin small blocks. I dusted him and all he kept saying was "My phucking prop wouldn't shift!" . I ran around with another guy on the river back in the day that had a 25 outlaw with a 415hp 502 with the shifter prop and it worked awesome on that boat. That thing sounded cool as chit like a dragster coming out of the hole.....he had no problem shoving the sticks to the dashboard on his holeshot!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Steve, cool pic of you racing.....I have never seen that. On another note, I was racing Andy years ago on priest.....he had a big baha with a single and I had that andretti with twin small blocks. I dusted him and all he kept saying was "My phucking prop wouldn't shift!" . I ran around with another guy on the river back in the day that had a 25 outlaw with a 415hp 502 with the shifter prop and it worked awesome on that boat. That thing sounded cool as chit like a dragster coming out of the hole.....he had no problem shoving the sticks to the dashboard on his holeshot!
John,
I wonder which went tits up 1st, his drive or his prop? Again, great concept, but the engineering ain't easy ..........
How's the back? Does Mom need any help ???
Regards,
Steve
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Zuckerman
John,
I wonder which went tits up 1st, his drive or his prop? Again, great concept, but the engineering ain't easy ..........
How's the back? Does Mom need any help ???
Regards,
Steve
My thoughts exactly. Hammers down on anything with a bravo and some decent power isn't going to last long.

Steve, was that Mirage called a Quatershot or Quartermaster? Can't remember - my racing days are long over. That was some of the most fun you can have with your clothes on though! Thought about buying another Ally just for a play boat until we had to fish a buddy of mine out of the water last year after he blew his Piranha over. I'll stick with the big boats now.

PS - Beautiful boat!

Quick Reply: Variable Pitch Prop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.