Benefits of prop labbing >

Benefits of prop labbing

Notices

Benefits of prop labbing

Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Lab Finishing has become a generic term like Kleenex is to tissue.

It wasn't meant to be that way. In fact, while I was still at Merc Racing we tried to Trademark the term but it was too late. We ended up with Mercury Lab Finished as the trademark.

Lab is short for laboritory and Mercury was the only game in town doing the original Labbing till 10 or so years ago. My old boss and his invented and perfected the process. In fact, till a few years ago they were the only ones who really understood the ins and outs of the processes. That can be seen by looking at the progression in some shops work over the years. Early prop work may be less than desired. It takes time to understand and learn propellers, you don't become a expert in a couple years

Mercury had the edge on everyone because they invented the process. There was a standard Lab template which was used for most all applications. Slowly we began modifying the process to make it what it is today.

So as more people began to work on customizing propellers, and because the performance gains were obvious, everyone started to say they were Lab Finishing the prop. Whether they actually knew what they were doing or not.

As it was before and as it is today, Labbing isn't always the best solution. At least not a generic Lab. Each application must be set up on its own merits. The best prop on the boat is the best prop on the boat whether it is investment cast or CNC'd doesn't guaranty anything. Either production process can surpass the other in performance on any given day on any given set up. Knowing the goals desired and adjusting the prop to meet those goals is key.

Pass me a tissue....I mean Kleenex!

B

Great explanation! Now throw me that Frisbee...I mean flying disc!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brett- You tell 'um. A lab set of props is something special unfortunately the term is OVER used. Dennis, God Bless Him, was the master. His work and knowledge was magical and better.
Jim
Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i should try that on my cigarette: i mean boat!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

I'm currently running my boat (single 272 baja) without the blower. It made 657 hp this way,preliminary testing with a out of the box 26 pitch rh merc bravo it ran 72 mph at 5100 rpm's (1.50 drive). I bought a new merc factory labbed 26 pitch bravo,it now will run 5400 and runs around 76 mph plus I don't feel as much "stern" lifting,labbing props is usually beneficial as it was in my case. I saw 78 mph running on some rougher water BUT I think this new gaffrig gps speedo spikes easy,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 08-24-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered

Brovos always seem to respond well to labbing!

Smitty, what's up with the boat? Why aren't you running the blower?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Brovos always seem to respond well to labbing!

Smitty, what's up with the boat? Why aren't you running the blower?
I'm still working 100 hours a week at both jobs and have had to work every saturday and sunday so my boating has been limited to a few hours before work here and there. I have only managed to get 3 hours of run time on boat and I am STILL burning my 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of new gas/ old gas out of it from last year,I gave up my overtime last weekend to get some serious boating in only to freeze my azz off saturday on higgins lake for a hour and watch it rain all day sunday. I'm going out before work this sunday to run the other 50 gallons of gas out then hope to run it blown over labor day. I don't want to chanch detonation with the crap in my tank and I'm having fun running it N/A. The fun is wearing off quickly though as 76-78mph is what I used to run 5 years ago ,Smitty
Old 08-24-2007, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
I'm still working 100 hours a week at both jobs and have had to work every saturday and sunday so my boating has been limited to a few hours before work here and there. I have only managed to get 3 hours of run time on boat and I am STILL burning my 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of new gas/ old gas out of it from last year,I gave up my overtime last weekend to get some serious boating in only to freeze my azz off saturday on higgins lake for a hour and watch it rain all day sunday. I'm going out before work this sunday to run the other 50 gallons of gas out then hope to run it blown over labor day. I don't want to chanch detonation with the crap in my tank and I'm having fun running it N/A. The fun is wearing off quickly though as 76-78mph is what I used to run 5 years ago ,Smitty

Got ya! You going to Hot Boat this year?
Old 08-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Got ya! You going to Hot Boat this year?
As long as its not 58 degrees out,Smitty
Old 08-25-2007, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
Lab Finishing has become a generic term like Kleenex is to tissue.

It wasn't meant to be that way. In fact, while I was still at Merc Racing we tried to Trademark the term but it was too late. We ended up with Mercury Lab Finished as the trademark.

Lab is short for laboritory and Mercury was the only game in town doing the original Labbing till 10 or so years ago. My old boss and his invented and perfected the process. In fact, till a few years ago they were the only ones who really understood the ins and outs of the processes. That can be seen by looking at the progression in some shops work over the years. Early prop work may be less than desired. It takes time to understand and learn propellers, you don't become a expert in a couple years

Mercury had the edge on everyone because they invented the process. There was a standard Lab template which was used for most all applications. Slowly we began modifying the process to make it what it is today.

So as more people began to work on customizing propellers, and because the performance gains were obvious, everyone started to say they were Lab Finishing the prop. Whether they actually knew what they were doing or not.

As it was before and as it is today, Labbing isn't always the best solution. At least not a generic Lab. Each application must be set up on its own merits. The best prop on the boat is the best prop on the boat whether it is investment cast or CNC'd doesn't guaranty anything. Either production process can surpass the other in performance on any given day on any given set up. Knowing the goals desired and adjusting the prop to meet those goals is key.

Pass me a tissue....I mean Kleenex!

B

Brett is the man. Give him and call, tell him what you are looking for and he will deliver. He did a prop for me and my boat is a whole different animal, I couldn't be happier!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Labbing props" different LEVELS of the process ??

I wanted to understand this PROCESS more clearly by what is actually done in a basic "lab finish" versus a full blown "lab finish". I had my props labbed and then measured at another shop and the blades (4) were out of spec up to .400" in pitch difference. I think what I got for a basic job was the polishing of grain direction and a pretty prop.

I know everyone has thier own style, level of work done for each prop done in their shop, but what would a description of the actual work be per level of labbing? What would one ask for when sending props for lab finish and what would you expect to get for you money spent?

I apparently misinterpreted the word "Lab finished" to be a trueing of the blades and balance as well as correcting any other out of spec feature.
Thanks for any simple clarification please!

Quick Reply: Benefits of prop labbing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.