Broken Bravo 1 >

Broken Bravo 1

Notices

Broken Bravo 1

Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Bravo 1

Well, Sunday afternoon turned out to be a bit more eventful than I had planned. My nice shiny Bravo 1 26p lab finish prop decided to throw a blade off out of the blue.

I noticed about a 1 1/2" crack in the same blade about two weeks ago and took the prop to our local prop guy (who I will say usually does a stellar job). I could only guess it was caused from stress, as my blades were pretty thin, and I wasn't sure about the age. I thought it was a little strange, but wasn't too concerned. The prop guy was able to repair the crack and give a nice brushed finish making it look brand new again. He also added a bit more cup which improved the planing performance and acceleration dramatically. BUT, after only maybe 2 or 3 hours on it, the same blade flew off. Coincidence?? I think not. Don't worry, pics to follow. I'll show you all my nice new expensive paperweight.....

Anyway, I obviously need to replace it, and I'm not sure which route to go. I've got a '96 27 Fever with mostly stock 502 Mag MPI with EMI Thunder headers, light pulleys, a crossover, and a nosecone. I liked the way the 26 B1 ran, but I was only able to pull about 4,600 rpm out of it and it was pretty slow out of the hole. I've heard great things about the Hyrdomotives but I need some pointers about which prop replacement will be best. Like I said i could pull about 4,600 rpms and got about 69 in perfect conditions with the B1, and it was a pretty solid prop (while it lasted). I wouldn't mind turning a few hundred more rpms and perhaps more top end. Would a five blade be a bad route in a lower pitch? Should I stay with 26, or maybe go down a bit?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Registered

bump
Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Hydro QIV might work well for that boat. You could try between a 24 to 26 inch prop. Don't think a 5 blade will be the best for that hull, but you never know until you try.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Registered

A QIV 25 will be a great starting point. It is equivalent to your B1 26, but a better stern lifter. If you are still light on rpms, you can get it labbed to pick up a couple hundred rpms.
Your X dimension is probably too deep for any help from a 5 blade, unless you get shorties, blah, blah, blah.
Carder
Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered

Thanks guys!

That's kinda what I was thinking on the 5 blade, and until I get a shorty, I don't think I'll try it.

I'm thinking a Hydromotive QIV 24 might be the best bet. Perhaps get a little better out of the hole performance and turn a couple hundred more rpms.

Now, does anybody out there have one......