do i need this thrust washer? >

do i need this thrust washer?

Notices

do i need this thrust washer?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need this thrust washer?

Im running a solid hub 23p and im wondering if the thrust washer behind it is necessary. It holds the prop out quite a bit and the prop nut is not getting a 100% grab.When i run my 4 blade with flo torque kit, the thrust washer is fine. By removing it for a better and tighter( and safer) fit , do i run the risk of wearing out the built in washer already on the shaft? Some input would be nice...thanx
Old 08-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need more info. A solid hub old cleaver does not use a thrust hub. A solid hub mirage has a small diameter thrust hub. Why do you think tighter is safer? I'm not aware of a thrust hub built on the shaft; what drive do you have?
Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Registered

You aren't putting the thrust washer on the shaft upside down are you?

Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Registered

The drive is a bravo 1 w nose cone,the prop shaft has a built in gold colored stopper. What im saying is that the solid hub prop,when the thrust washer is on,sticks out so far that im barely getting a 50% bite with my prop nut. So yes, i think that is unsafe as far as keeping my prop goes! That said,when i remove the thrust washer and put it on,it seems to countersink into the outdrive nicely. The prop is a 23p mirage solid hub (bought used but very new) and did not come with any type of washer....thanx fellas
Old 08-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got you. That gold washer is stuck on there. Give it a tap with a hammer or gentle pry it loose. There are many different thrust washers. The mirage has one it will be a brass color and fits in the prop. Much smaller in diameter then others. The thrust washer has a tapper that rides on the tapper on the prop shaft. When every thing is right there will be 3 threads showing at the prop nut and when you push the prop forward and rotate it spins with out touching anything. Check out the trust hub in your mirage. When the thrust hub wears out it allows the prop to move forward and it can damage the gear housing.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Registered

Well in boating,and like most things, the stupid question is the one you didnt ask so Thanx Jim.....ill check it out asap...i bet what im calling a built in stopper is in fact the small washer that goes inside my 23...if so than it must be fairly worn out because its down the shaft a good bit and i was seeing more than 3 threads.. it could be from another prop completely,im not the original owner of the boat or the outdrive....i visited Lake Travis for the first time back on Memorial day and loved it..thats a nice area yall boat in,man.....thanx again for your time
Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

We have the mini thrust washer you need if your still searching.

I have out of the office for over a week so I missed this thread.

Let me know if I can help!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered

if memory serves me the thrust washer for the solid hub mirage is a part # 14359 , hope it helps
Old 08-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That washer seats on a tapered part of the shaft, and in my experience its common to see it stuck to the shaft, and not come off with the prop. sometimes it can be pretty stuck, but it'll come off!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Often they will stick in the prop too.

That is the correct part number.

Quick Reply: do i need this thrust washer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.