Propping 86 Baja 320 with TRS.... >

Propping 86 Baja 320 with TRS....

Notices

Propping 86 Baja 320 with TRS....

Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Propping 86 Baja 320 with TRS....

I have a 86 320 force, I had engine issues all summer, that is worked out now, I am looking at the performance, it was a 400HP boat, now has Merlin heads and Holley intakes, maybe 420-440 hp..

I was running yesterday in flatter watter 1 ft or less...not great for this boat, it needs a chop...
It was hard to see 64 mph with it at 5200 trimmed to the moon, it feels like the bow will not lift well at all, bot rides very level, no tab in it at all, they were up.

props now are 23 Standard SS quicksilver, nothing special, props are spinning out now, would spinning them in help bow lift?

I cruise 3500 at 45-47 mph depending on water conditions.

with some chop the boat hit 64.8 with ease, that was before I was trying to wring it out (engines still very new) I would assume the way it is now it may go 65-67 in the right water.

I am wanting opinions of what to try with a old straigh hull TRS boat. I am not expecting the boat to be super fast or looking for a miracle, I just want to know that whatever it runs uis as good as it gets!!

if it is a 65 mph boat then fine, just want the best I can get.

Thanks, FF
Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a friend with the similar Baja. He borrowed my 25P labbed Mirage props and they improved his performance over the clever style. He ended up buying the Mirage props. This would be a good place to start. The answer is likely the 23P or 25P Mirage.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a set of labbed 23's pitched to 24, I lost a thrust washer in the lake so i did not try them yet, mine now are not cleaver, they are rounded quicksilvers.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borrowing a set of Mirage 23P or25P should not be difficult.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,258 Likes on 608 Posts

I have been running 25 Mirages that have been thinned and extra cupping and rake (+ or - I can't remember) added on my straight bottom TRS Scarab with Merc 425's. I have run with the drives spinning in and out. I have more bow lift spinning out and more bow steering spinning in (not good). The difference in top end speed was nothing noticeable but I lost some cruise speed.

I have now added an extra 350HP and will probably be getting rid of these at the end of Oct. or start of next spring. If your interested I could let you try them to see how they perform for you. I kinda built these props for our straight bottom TRS boats. I took them to the prop shop and had them tweek them for a whole summer. Before my mods the best they ran was 72.7mph @ 5200 but I could barely get on plane in 1' waves, after my mods I could run 71 @ 5100 everyday and get on plane in any water conditions.

by the way I tried some Hydromotive 24" 4 blades, they scared the s#it out of me. The bow steer was horrible, the boat had to much stern lift and you could not carry the bow. I thought I was going to lose it at any moment.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a few people local offering props to try, i will let you know what I come up with.

Thnaks, FF
Old 10-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

The pitch you choose to test with should be determined by the rpm you wish to run. I assume the low 5's is is good. Therefore, try true stock 23 Mirage + props. Ultimately, Labbed 25's to the recipe the boat needs, is the way to go.

As far as spinning the props is concerned. Try spinning them in (tops toward the center of the transom). This will create more bow lift. It does it because it leverages the transom more. Pushing down on the transom is the only way to create bow lift on a hull that doesn't trap air.

We have a great test program. We lend new untouched propeller for 15 days at a fee of $25. There are no strings attached. We both learn and determine the best move.

We have built many, many sets of props for Baja hulls over the years. It is tough to beat a good Labbed set of Mirage Plus props.

Brett
Old 10-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
The pitch you choose to test with should be determined by the rpm you wish to run. I assume the low 5's is is good. Therefore, try true stock 23 Mirage + props. Ultimately, Labbed 25's to the recipe the boat needs, is the way to go.

As far as spinning the props is concerned. Try spinning them in (tops toward the center of the transom). This will create more bow lift. It does it because it leverages the transom more. Pushing down on the transom is the only way to create bow lift on a hull that doesn't trap air.

We have a great test program. We lend new untouched propeller for 15 days at a fee of $25. There are no strings attached. We both learn and determine the best move.

We have built many, many sets of props for Baja hulls over the years. It is tough to beat a good Labbed set of Mirage Plus props.

Brett
I think a friend has a set of 25P Mirage plus, not labbed, I will see if the boat will spin them at all, I wills ee what i can do over the weekend and report back.

Thanks! FF
Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by bbladesprops

Brett
Tried spinning drives in at the beginning of the year, boat chined alot, I have them out now, still seeing same speeds with some engine tuning, would any 4 blade give me the same top end while gaining cruise or should I stick with 3 blades? I was told to ditch my standard Mirage for Mirage+ I am looking for a set locally to try and see what happens..