Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Prop selection and/or trim tabs for 350 vortec on 21' bowrider? >

Prop selection and/or trim tabs for 350 vortec on 21' bowrider?

Notices

Prop selection and/or trim tabs for 350 vortec on 21' bowrider?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say that. I think she sits and rides well compared to a lot of other boats I see. Some of them aren't on plane and doing a wheelie and/or just bouncing all over the place. I usually cruise around at 3500-3800 RPM and I trim her up as high as I can without porpoising. That's usually about 40-66% on the trim gauge. If the water gets a little rougher and she starts to bounce I trim her down a hair.

There are only two situations where I've not been happy with where the bow was.

1. A very light load, no front passengers, and WOT... can't trim her up to where she usually rides without porpoising. With two front passengers that's not an issue. And, the current prop is undersized so that WOT is about 8-900 RPM higher than it should be. If I run 4800-5000 RPM with a light load she's fine.

2. A very heavy load and most of it in the stern... can't trim her down enough. If I have a heavy load and it's all at the bow she's fine.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

I've never been in a boat that goes faster than 45 with a hydrofoil.

I would take it off to test the differences.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Registered

Ok. I'll test without the hydrofoil.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm thinking a 23" Mirage Plus and a 750 CFM Double pumper, With a 1.65 gear you will have plenty of dig and the DP will give you the secondaries on demand...just like having two carburetors. Trim tabs won't help you much with the bow loaded heavy so standard Bennetts or something similar will be a good compromise. Don't use a four blade prop ...they tend to raise the stern. Your optimum running angle is with 1/3 of the hull in the water...best achieved in your boat with the drive trim.

A top end of around 65 is about your "Safe" limit with a light load. Word of advice...get yourself a Kill Lanyard and use it religiously....loss of steering control or being tossed out for any reason is a possibility and your chances of surviving it are enhanced by killing the power.

Sounds like a sweet package...enjoy it !!!
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered

You must own a lot of stock in Sunoco. LOL just kidding. I went with the Edelbrock 600 CFM and it's not even a year old. Choose that over the Holly DP for ease of install (not much tuning) and better fuel economy. I'm sure I'd get better performance with the Holly but I'm happy with the Edelbrock.

1/3 of the hull in the water is about optimum for her but it's not a heavy bow I have issues with. It's a heavy stern. I probably added 100-150 lbs going from the 305 to 350 and I have 3 batteries. One starting and two 6V deep cycles to run an 800 watt sound system. With no one sitting in the stearn she's fine. Even with 2 kids and the dog in the stearn she's decent. When I have a heavy load that includes 2-3 adults sitting in the stern she rides too high, can't trim her down far enough. And that's very rare, 95% of the time it's just me, the wife, 2 kids, and a 35 lb dog. If it's a heavy load and most of it is in the bow, no problems with the trim. That's why I was considering/leaning toward the 4 blade.

Good advise on the kill. I have one already and use it all the time.

Last edited by Gannz; 07-20-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannz
. I probably added 100-150 lbs going from the 305 to 350 .
Huh?
Old 07-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Registered

Nevermind. LOL. Thought I remembered reading that somewhere, and I did, but I didn't read the rest of the post... bad information posted by someone.

With the aluminum intake I'm probably a little lighter than the old 305. But the 6 Volt batteries are an anchor. 63 lbs each. And she is stern heavy with 2-3 adults sitting in the stern.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK...get you a pair of Twin Cylinder 16" Bennett Trim Tabs http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/perfo...t-tab-systems/ and make life easy.

These will take care of you "Ass Heavy" condition with a heavy load !! If you set these all the way down she will jump out of the water !

I love a Holley or Quick Fuel Double Pumper on a strong Small Block Chevy. My brother has that same engine, drive and cam in a 22' F3 Formula and adding the 750 DP straight out of the box gave him 8 mph on the top and is more fuel efficient than a vacuum secondary...just saying !!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-20-2016, 04:10 PM
Registered

had a 21' bowrider with a 350 set up close to what u have.stock alpha outdrive.dont remember the gear ratio.(started out as a stock 2000 250hp 5.7/alpha combo)ran a 21 pitch mercruiser vengeance prop.61 mph on gps(on the rev limiter)stock 4800 rpm thunderbolt ignition.would pull two tubes with 4-5 kids or a wake boarder,water skier no problem.plenty of hole shot to tube good cruise speed.i think it was a 600-650 marine demon.once dialed in never touched it again.might try a dp next time if I did it again.probably wont,big block now.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
OK...get you a pair of Twin Cylinder 16" Bennett Trim Tabs http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/perfo...t-tab-systems/ and make life easy.

These will take care of you "Ass Heavy" condition with a heavy load !! If you set these all the way down she will jump out of the water !

I love a Holley or Quick Fuel Double Pumper on a strong Small Block Chevy. My brother has that same engine, drive and cam in a 22' F3 Formula and adding the 750 DP straight out of the box gave him 8 mph on the top and is more fuel efficient than a vacuum secondary...just saying !!
Holley DP, Bennett Tabs, Mercruiser SS Prop... $2K? I paid $1500 for the boat and trailer but I "stole" it. LOL. Long story short, guy was tired of throwing money at marine mechanics to fix a not starting when hot problem. Ended up being just a bad coil.

If a new prop gets me to 62 I think I'll be happy with that for a while. When I get the itch to go faster I'll look for a DP. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck if it gains 8 MPH. Might do that before the tabs. I'd like the tabs and I'm sure they'd solve the problem but it's very rare that I have a full load and adults in the back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.