Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Prop selection and/or trim tabs for 350 vortec on 21' bowrider? >

Prop selection and/or trim tabs for 350 vortec on 21' bowrider?

Notices

Prop selection and/or trim tabs for 350 vortec on 21' bowrider?

Old 07-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
The flame arrestor you have on the Edelbrock should work. Remember...the Holley's require a fuel line that feeds both front and rear bowls. Did you find a refurbished Mechanical Secondary #80537 ?
Yeah, 80537 with mechanical secondary. Factory reconditioned directly from Holley with 90 day warranty.

I'll get a dual feed with braided line and the secondary spring kit. Anything else? I see some of the fuel lines come with a gauge. Good to have?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

+1 on Allstate
Throw that "whale tale" away and put a set of Bennett tabs on it. I bet your porposing will go away!

Last edited by GLENAMY 242SS; 07-23-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:13 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Yes, fuel psi gauge allways handy.Make sure it is not liquid filled as sometimes engine heat can make the guage read wrong. And make sure when you have it. someone sneeks a peak at WOT and top rpm to make sure it's over 4.5psi. If not, your fuel pump or antisiphon valve is not keeping up.

Your flame arrestor will fit the holley too. They both have the same flange size.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannz
Yeah, 80537 with mechanical secondary. Factory reconditioned directly from Holley with 90 day warranty.

I'll get a dual feed with braided line and the secondary spring kit. Anything else? I see some of the fuel lines come with a gauge. Good to have?
You won't need the spring kit...that's for Vacuum Secondary models. You now have the best combination this side of Fuel Injection. !!

Make sure you have a good fuel filter/water separator in line and check it regularly. You may also need a Holley style throttle cable set up that bolts on the intake flange below the carburetor. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/thrott...ock-p-884.html

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm no sure how the Edelbrock is set up and you may be ok...but this is what you need just in case.

I doubt Holley changed the original jetting so out of the box you should be "Spot On". Bolt it on...start it...check for leaks and go boating !!!

Last edited by sprink58; 07-23-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 AM
Registered

Good call on the throttle bracket. I may need one. I was able to modify my 2 bbl bracket from the 305 to work with the Edelbrock. Don't think that will work on the Holley because the fuel bowl sticks out over the flange so far, it doesn't look like there's much clearance under it, and the bracket is pretty thick. Your brothers bracket looks similar to mine and it looks like maybe it was modified to only catch one of the flange studs and a threaded boss on the intake instead of having to go under the fuel bowl to catch the second stud. I'm not home right now to check but I should probably be able to do something like that.

If not, will that quick release cable clamp on the michigan motorz bracket work with the merc cable? Or, would I need to buy/fab one of these...

Or, as long as it will fit, I can remove the clamp latch and weld my merc cable stud to "U" in the quick release bracket.

Anyone want to talk me into the electric choke conversion kit? 99% of the time we only use the boat when it's above 65 degrees so I'm thinking of just disabling or locking open the manual choke.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are just going to need to play it by ear on the throttle cable set up...just make sure it's substantial. Last thing you want is a "disconnect" especially in tight quarters like docking or running "Balls Out" LOL.

As far as the choke is concerned...I don't think it's worth fooling with...of course I live in South Florida where our average high in January is 75* !!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Registered

Got her ready to fire up. There's no fuel overflow port? I thought all marine carbs had the fuel overflow that went back to the pump? I double checked the model number to make sure they shipped the right one and the installation instructions are useless. Half a page of warnings then 1. Take old carb off. 2. Put new carb on.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

I believe the bowl overflow is addressed by the "J" tubes and the hose from the fuel pump to carb is for ruptured pump diaphragm. For my Holley I fab'ed a fitting in the aftermarket flame arrestor housing to dump in throat of carb.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:17 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannz
Got her ready to fire up. There's no fuel overflow port? I thought all marine carbs had the fuel overflow that went back to the pump? I double checked the model number to make sure they shipped the right one and the installation instructions are useless. Half a page of warnings then 1. Take old carb off. 2. Put new carb on.
Holley's don't have a port to hook up the fuel pump rupture line.I do the same as Glenamy 242SS. I drill a hole thru the base (flat section where arrestor element sits on) and screw in a brass npt/barb fitting. Some flame arrestors come with a fitting on them and I believe some companies sell a rivet on fitting.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Registered

Hydrofoil is off. New carb is on. Found a valve that wasn't closing all the way while I was tuning the carb. Lash was too tight even though it was 3/4 turn past clanking.

Gained another 150-200 RPM so I'm now spinning about 5900-6000.

Handling is much better w/o the whale tail. Much more responsive and nimble. Porpoising is down at top speed. With the tail I could trim her up to about 2/3 and between 1/2 and 2/3 the RPM's would continue to increase but at a certain point I would get the proposing. Now, if I go past about 50% trim the RPM's don't increase. Other than that, the only other thing I noticed is that the bow stays up longer when getting on plane. She hops out of the water about the same, maybe a little faster but with the tail the bow would drop onto plane pretty fast and then I'd trim up to get the ideal angle. Now the bow stays up longer before planing.

Still undecided on the prop. Laser II is out. Between the Mirage, Mirage +, Tempest +, Enertia, and Rev 4.