Proper bow height looking to make some prop adjustments >

Proper bow height looking to make some prop adjustments

Notices

Proper bow height looking to make some prop adjustments

Old 04-18-2024, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 148 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Proper bow height looking to make some prop adjustments

Looking back on the videos from the shootout last year I have been trying to analyze them to determine how to get the most out of my prop. Im hoping you all with your vast wisdom can help me out.

In this first run I was running a 30P Bravo, but I was only getting 5000RPM with it trimmed up almost all the way. You can see the rooster tail in this video when I was trying to get more RPM out of it, but just couldnt turn it fast enough with the power I have. I feel like this bow height is really good though and the run looks a lot smoother with less boat in the water.

The Sunday run I put my stock refinished 28P Bravo on and was able to get 76MPH out of it turning 5250RPM, but the bow is lower and the boat was bouncing around a bit more. My thinking is if I can get this prop labbed to handle a little more trim I could gain 1-2 MPH and a smoother run.

Curious on every ones thoughts here. Appreciate the help in advance!
Andrew
Old 04-19-2024, 12:07 PM
Registered

bumping this up to see if anyone has any suggestions.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

What does your slip calculate out to with each run? What is your motor combo? Ideal engine rpm? Water doesn't look like much more chop on Sunday but the run seems more like the chop getting you to porpoise then a little chine walk. The boat seemed to take a better set on Saturday. Anything you can move rearward or eliminate from the bow to move the CG rearward?
Old 04-19-2024, 10:06 PM
Registered

Prop slip with the 30P is 22

Prop Slip with the 28 is 18

Engine/Drive are a 525EFI with a Bravo XR. We dont typically keep much in the front of the boat. the only thing we could really remove is a couple of tools and the "mattress" that is in there, but doubt that would even be 75lbs. Im going to do some test runs when we get out to LOTO trimming the 28p up more to see if it helps, but I usually stop gaining speed when the drive is trimmed to about a 5.
Old 04-20-2024, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasBAJA
Prop slip with the 30P is 22

Prop Slip with the 28 is 18

Engine/Drive are a 525EFI with a Bravo XR. We dont typically keep much in the front of the boat. the only thing we could really remove is a couple of tools and the "mattress" that is in there, but doubt that would even be 75lbs. Im going to do some test runs when we get out to LOTO trimming the 28p up more to see if it helps, but I usually stop gaining speed when the drive is trimmed to about a 5.
I would cut the flare out of the 28 bravo to bravo fs spec. You can weld the flare back if needed.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Taking 75lb off the front is a lot in terms of load balance. Bravo props have very little bow lift. So killing that weight will help. I'd try a 30 Mirage. My potato chip Baja Sport 220 picked up 4mph going from a 26 Bravo (68mph) to a 27 Mirage Plus. Both at 4500rpm.The Plus is a ***** to get on plane with for me. (The standard Mirage has some cup to it which should hold the water better. I've not found one to try yet.) It just breaks loose so easy and takes 1/4mi to get on plane. It also handled better and virtually eliminated the torque steer. And remember that more trim isn't always faster. You've got to use a GPS and go out and play to find what trim is fastest. I get one "bump" too far and I lose a couple mph at same rpm.

Last edited by Smitty275; 05-12-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 447 Likes on 267 Posts

I think if you want to just run fast in the Shootout, you might try a cleaver style 4 blade. My flat bottom Fountain ran its fastest and smoothest with a set of Hydromotives that I tried. I was really impressed until I tried to slow cruise with them. Fell off plane at about 30 MPH. If all I wanted to do was rip down the water at wide open and run in the Shootout, I would get a set just for that and then put the Bravo's back on for easy day on the water. JMO