Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Prop slip around 30%, very hard to get on plane >

Prop slip around 30%, very hard to get on plane

Notices

Prop slip around 30%, very hard to get on plane

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 167 Likes on 101 Posts

I just read your post. I only looked at the vid and thought you were pushing the throttles to quickly. Jave you tried a 5 blade prop?
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Baja33Outlaw,

Also.... Can't tell in the video.... Do the props blow out before the nose starts over, or while it's still climbing/nose high? Judging by the timing, mine would still be climbing upward, not even thinking about nosing over yet, when your props blow out. And the fact that they are synced in time of occurrence indicates to me that it's not something related to the engines, drives or props, unless something specific was done to both of them. Get a good look/feel at the bottom of the hull for stress cracks and anything that is not smooth. Look hard at the individual parts of the drives. It there's anything not OEM, it/they would be suspect #1 for me. Everything I'm seeing is screaming "too shallow" to me.

Thanks. Brad.
yeah, the nose is still high and climbing when they blow out. Agreed, whatever it is both drives, or whatever else it might be, have the same thing going on.
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
I just read your post. I only looked at the vid and thought you were pushing the throttles to quickly. Jave you tried a 5 blade prop?
haven't tried a 5 blade. The way I took off in the video isn't how I usually drive, just thought it would show the problem better that way in a video. I'll have to take another video to show how I usually do it. Normally it's a very slow application of the throttles.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 955 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by baja 33outlaw
haven't tried a 5 blade. The way I took off in the video isn't how I usually drive, just thought it would show the problem better that way in a video. I'll have to take another video to show how I usually do it. Normally it's a very slow application of the throttles.
Baja33Outlaw,

Yup. Try and capture the tachs, throttles and horizon over the bow through the whole process. Might have to have someone else hold the phone/camera.

What happens if you just keep the throttles at that 2500RPM position? Does it just keep repeating that cycle? Dig in and surge, blow out and settle in, dig in and surge, etc....?

For the record... It's worth giving some 5B props a shot, but I don't think I've ever seen your hull with 496s with anything but 4B Bravo 4Bs.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; Yesterday at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
baja 33outlaw (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
Just my opinion but i think you are rushing the process based on your video. Leave it at 2500 till the bow starts coming down. Then slowly add throttle and trim. You will be able to fine tune as you get more seat time.
when the rpm goes over 2500 it wasn't from me adding more throttle, I didn't move them, it was the props blowing out (I think). No matter how slow I try to bring it up on plane, it's props blow out at 10-12mph.
PQ290Enticer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I ran 25 p mirage + on my 33 OL..........@ over 700 hrs those things are due for a refresh, you should be pulling those props to 4800 to 5k
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Registered

Baja33Outlaw,

Yup. Try and capture the tachs, throttles and horizon over the bow through the whole process. Might have to have someone else hold the phone/camera.

What happens if you just keep the throttles at that 2500RPM positions? Does it just keep repeating that cycle? Dig in and surge, blow out, settle in, dig in and surge, etc....?

Thanks. Brad.
Will get a better video of a few attempts soon.

In the video I didn't move the throttles from the 2500rpm position until it was about to hit 4000rpm. If I didn't lower the throttles it would've just hit the rev limiter.

The only way I've ever been able to plane, is slowly bring the throttles up, no matter how I do it the props blow out. Once they blow out have to just adjust the throttles to keep it around 3500-3800rpm (they are blowing out during this) for about 20-30 seconds and just wait for it to plane. No point during that process are my throttles over 50%
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Will get a better video of a few attempts soon.

In the video I didn't move the throttles from the 2500rpm position until it was about to hit 4000rpm. If I didn't lower the throttles it would've just hit the rev limiter.

The only way I've ever been able to plane, is slowly bring the throttles up, no matter how I do it the props blow out. Once they blow out have to just adjust the throttles to keep it around 3500-3800rpm (they are blowing out during this) for about 20-30 seconds and just wait for it to plane. No point during that process are my throttles over 50%
Baja33Outlaw,

Yeah... That's weird....

Do they have any delay in going into gear?

Have someone capture your prop wash during this process, too.

Something is WAY off. I start to wonder if something isn't slipping mechanically. Cone clutches. Prop hubs. Something....

Thanks. Brad.
PQ290Enticer (Today)
Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
Registered

Baja33Outlaw,

Yeah... That's weird....

Do they have any delay in going into gear?

Have someone capture your prop wash during this process, too.

Something is WAY off. I start to wonder if something isn't slipping mechanically. Cone clutches. Prop hubs. Something....

Thanks. Brad.
one outdrive works perfectly, as far as I can tell. The other one works correctly in forward. To get in reverse I have to move the shifter in reverse, then rev the motor to about 1200rpm then it softly clunks into reverse.
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

one outdrive works perfectly, as far as I can tell. The other one works correctly in forward. To get in reverse I have to move the shifter in reverse, then rev the motor to about 1200rpm then it softly clunks into reverse.
Baja33Outlaw,

I’ve recently learned the delay, or needing to rev to get it to go into gear, is a sign of a warn cone clutch. Have you checked your linkage at the shifter plate? There’s a gauge for that. It solved this specific issue for me. At least for the time being.

Shifter linkage tool

I’m not suggesting this is your issue, but it can’t hurt to address all issues while sorting out one in specific.

I could definitely see a slipping prop hub causing this, but I’d think they would have totally worn themselves out by now if that was the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.