Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Prop slip around 30%, very hard to get on plane >

Prop slip around 30%, very hard to get on plane

Notices

Prop slip around 30%, very hard to get on plane

Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 457 Likes on 207 Posts

Is there any chance the defuser ring was removed from the props?
The following users liked this post:
baja 33outlaw (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craney
Is there any chance the defuser ring was removed from the props?
no, it's got that flared end on the prop.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Baja33Outlaw,

I’ve recently learned the delay, or needing to rev to get it to go into gear, is a sign of a warn cone clutch. Have you checked your linkage at the shifter plate? There’s a gauge for that. It solved this specific issue for me. At least for the time being.

Shifter linkage tool

I’m not suggesting this is your issue, but it can’t hurt to address all issues while sorting out one in specific.

I could definitely see a slipping prop hub causing this, but I’d think they would have totally worn themselves out by now if that was the case.
we did try adjusting the linkage, still couldn't get it to go into reverse correctly. So decided to just live with it, was like that when I bought it to. So I would guess it's probably the cone clutch.

As for it being a prop hub, I don't think so. We've changed props a few times and the hub looks like it's in good condition. I could be wrong, but if it was slipping I'd imagine it would have gouges or scratching showing signs of slipping?
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 457 Likes on 207 Posts

I wonder if these would help

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by baja 33outlaw
No repairs or issues with the drives, that I know of, but the boat had about 750hrs on it when I bought it. So wouldn't doubt they've been repaired at some point. Hoping to pull it out this week so I can get some pictures, if I can get a day off work. Unfortunately I leave the boat in the water, so the bottom is currently pretty dirty, but when clean it still has issues planning. Kinda like you said with your pq280 slowly feathering throttles. The new 26p props I put on were slightly better, but it still had to be feathered to get going. Maybe they were also fighting themselves since at top speed one was at 4700 while the they was around 4250rpm.

The video was when I first put it in with a clean hull. It had this problem when I bought the boat, but figured that it was normal. Also on the water test, I only rode passenger and didn't realize why he babied it to get on plane. Previous owner kept the boat on a lift, I'll add that Pic just to show the boat condition. Also found a picture when I bought it of the back, kinda showing the drives probably doesn't quite show enough though.

I need to see the the drives where the ram ends of the cylinders connect to the
drives in order to see if the spacer is in backwards, from what I can see of the drive shower hose routing, unless you’re running inside rotation, the pickups are on the wrong side, which could be drawing air down into the props.
The following 2 users liked this post by JaayTeee:
baja 33outlaw (Yesterday), PQ290Enticer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,185 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Where is the picture of the cavi plate where the shower pickups are ? but along those lines if the tube is to far below the cavi plate it will cause a cavitation issues
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

This is a b3, notice where the cylinder ram meets the drive

This is a b1 drive, notice the ram end just blends in with the drive
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
I need to see the the drives where the ram ends of the cylinders connect to the
drives in order to see if the spacer is in backwards, from what I can see of the drive shower hose routing, unless you’re running inside rotation, the pickups are on the wrong side, which could be drawing air down into the props.
I'm positive that my props spin outward. Also thought my shower pickups were on the inside. In the picture it does look to be mounted on the outside, so I could be wrong. I'll have to look at the boat to make sure.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Where is the picture of the cavi plate where the shower pickups are ? but along those lines if the tube is to far below the cavi plate it will cause a cavitation issues
Sorry, those pictures were ones I just had in my phone. Still haven't had any time to go get the boat to get more pictures of the drives. Hoping to go out there late after work tomorrow. Really want to check all the possibilities you guys have pointed out, so I can give you guys more info. Sorry for taking forever to get out there, I'm trying lol.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JaayTeee

This is a b3, notice where the cylinder ram meets the drive

This is a b1 drive, notice the ram end just blends in with the drive
thank you, it makes sense now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.