rule of thumb? >

rule of thumb?

Notices

rule of thumb?

Old 09-18-2024, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rule of thumb?

i did a search and will keep looking but i was wondering if there is a rule of thumb or average when going for a 4-5 or a 4-6 blade prop on slip drop? have a 31p 4 blade and that im currently getting 21% slip at WOT looking to get this into the mid teens and wondering if its "easier" to go to same pitch with more blades VS more pitch same blades
Old 09-18-2024, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 563 Likes on 265 Posts

A 29 pitch 5 blade will lower the slip numbers or a 27 pitch 6 blade. The only issue would be can your drive Handle the extra "BITE" you will get with the extra blades.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya, i gather more blades more bite. but im wondering if there is a way i can "guesstimate" my slip. im trying to target min to low teens so wondering - short of trying a bunch of different props, if there is a way to accurately narrow it down
Old 09-20-2024, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 119 Posts

It doesn't really work like that.

Your propeller will not be exactly 31.0000 inch pitch, so the slip number cannot be compared from propeller to propeller.

But more blades means more bite.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

There is no rule of thumb for this scenario. Changing number of blades also comes with altering blade shape, diameter, blade thickness and so on.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Gary Stray once said something in an interview that really changed the way I thought about props in regards to slip.

I don't remember the exact wording so I'm paraphrasing here but he said he doesn't get caught up in prop slip numbers or trying to chase a specific number. If the boat is fast and it handles well that's all he cares about.

There's a good probability that adding blades will reduce slip a few percent but not gain any speed.

Last edited by c0ncEpT; Yesterday at 02:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (Yesterday)