1974 SeaCraft 20 Racing Boat? >

1974 SeaCraft 20 Racing Boat?

Notices

1974 SeaCraft 20 Racing Boat?

Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 SeaCraft 20 Racing Boat?

OK...first post here...I am a Capt in Va Beach VA and have been boating all my life...I currently have a 74 SC20 Master Angler that has been completely restored better than new...it runs a Cobia tower and a Suzuki 175 on a bracket...the boat is and looks factory new...even better...I did the complete resto along with some help from the son...

Lately (about 3 years now) I've had a Fun/Ski/Speed boat bug up my ass after getting a ride in a buddys Donzi 18 Classic 72 with a 502/Bravo II in it...I know SeaCraft got its start in offshore racing...thats got me thinking...

What if I took an older SC20 Seafari IO to start with as a donor boat...it has the variable deadrise hull Mosely invented...anyway I take it and gut it and then build it back replacing the transom, beefing up the stringers, placing a Bravo II I/O unit and a 450HP+ Big Block Chevy. I would remove the cap and build my own much in the style of the Donzi classics with along nose and large cockpit with wrap around seating...

Anyone ever hear of anyone doing this? I guess I could buy a Donzi 21 or 22 classic as a starter boat but hey...then it wouldnt be a one off...

Thoughts and ideas appreciated...

Capt Beach
Old 05-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a SeaCraft Seavette...they didn't make many though and they were based on the 23' hull. It would be cool to do with a 20'. Might want to check out classicseacraft.com, the guys there have a lot of info.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a member for about 6-7 years over at CSC,COM....yeah trying to stay at 20 feet and get a saltwater capable hull (Chesapeake Bay) which the SC20 is and get that Donzi Classic look...I've got 20+ gallons of Epoxy and a couple of hundred feet of fiberglass cloth, all the tools and skills...I've even found a donor hull for $300 but its an outboard and would need a new transom...the thing that has me hesitating is putting together that rear end from scratch...getting the hole lined up with the motor, the drive ect...the rest is just blood sweat and tears and fiber glass rash...

I figure I could get the hull roughed in for $1500 in materials, the stringers and motor mounts for another $500. A BBC and drive would run $10K plus another $5K in upholstery, gauges and wiring...I think a $18K budget would be realistic but then the other side of my brain says buy a complete running older Donzi 22 Classic and resto it...and come out cheaper and a lot quicker than building a hot rod boat from scratch or nearly so...hmmmm

Thanks...

Capt Beach