crownline engine upgrade\swap >

crownline engine upgrade\swap

Notices

crownline engine upgrade\swap

Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question crownline engine upgrade\swap

Ok everyone im new to the boating world of engine swaps . I have a volvo penta 5.0 in a 2003 crownline lpx and Im wanting to put something like a 8.1 or even a 525 that I saw in classifieds. Like I said im new and dont know what can be used linkage wise from 5.0 or if the outdrive will bolt up or hold the larger engine . Any and all advise opinons and tips would be very welcome. The 5.0 sounds good with captains call on and runs 55 which I didnt think was to bad..... but now that iv had it awhile and been around some friends with jet boats and fountains I really want to stuff a beast in mine .
Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Registered

Is your 5.0 the GL or MPi. I assume you have a SX drive. The SX drives are beefy and should hold up to big power. Much of the drive life is effected by the driver, easy on sticks and light boat is your friend. Another option rather then a 502 if you want something less radical is a 6.2 MPI. A buddy put one in his 21 bow rider and its a nice boat. Since it is striker SBC it drops right in and is roughly same size/weight etc as your current engine,
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you wanted a small block like a 350,383, etc you should be able to transfer all of the stuff from your 5.0. That way you won't increase the weight & get quite a jump in power. Will the drive handle it? don't know, that would depend on how you drive the boat. Any big block & you will have some engineering & fabrication to do. Randy
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a 225 with an 8.2L Penta with DPS. Do yourself a favor and head over to www.crowniehq.net. There are several people there that have attempted what you're looking to do. My guess seeing that you have a 5.0 is that you're running a 202. You'll find from the attempts of others that it IS NOT worth the money nor is the hull designed for high speed operation.

My opinion, if you want a powerboat, save your funds from the swap and invest in a boat that was designed for it from the start.

Again, this is coming from a guy that started in a 225 LPX and moved up along the way. Just trying to pass along some advice as I too was a Crownie.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by happy hours
Is your 5.0 the GL or MPi. I assume you have a SX drive. The SX drives are beefy and should hold up to big power. Much of the drive life is effected by the driver, easy on sticks and light boat is your friend. Another option rather then a 502 if you want something less radical is a 6.2 MPI. A buddy put one in his 21 bow rider and its a nice boat. Since it is striker SBC it drops right in and is roughly same size/weight etc as your current engine,
it is a sx drive and i believe its a 5.0 GL
Old 06-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CrownLPX
I had a 225 with an 8.2L Penta with DPS. Do yourself a favor and head over to www.crowniehq.net. There are several people there that have attempted what you're looking to do. My guess seeing that you have a 5.0 is that you're running a 202. You'll find from the attempts of others that it IS NOT worth the money nor is the hull designed for high speed operation.

My opinion, if you want a powerboat, save your funds from the swap and invest in a boat that was designed for it from the start.

Again, this is coming from a guy that started in a 225 LPX and moved up along the way. Just trying to pass along some advice as I too was a Crownie.
thanks for the advise. ill check that website out. may just got with the 383 . it sound like less of a headache.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 692 Likes on 276 Posts

I have a bigblock Volvo bellhousing if you need it. I know the front motor mounts are the same sb/bb. All the acc. (alternator, power steering pump etc) is where you will probablt have headaches switching over. Complete merc motors are around, I got my 454 efi motor for 2500. Though I don't know whats entailed switching the Volvo wiring to merc. I do agree its definitely cheaper and easier just to buy a faster boat.