Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
93 Mirage 232 Trovare build >

93 Mirage 232 Trovare build

Notices

93 Mirage 232 Trovare build

Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got some time to clean up the bilge today and inspect the stringers and transom. Everything is dry and free of rot! Pretty excited about that.

Before degreasing

After

Removing the Y pipe today and might do some sanding prep in the bilge. I wasn't going to paint it, but I want it solid white without the random black splattering nonsense from the factory. Any suggestions on a paint product that holds up well?

Last edited by Borgie; 10-29-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Banned

Was feeling kinda tired today, so after degreasing and removing the Y pipe I decided to rebuild my sea water pump. Mine is a Gen V so it also drives the fuel pump. Luckily it's the style with a fill/drain plug. When I first bought the boat, I drained it only to find it contained mostly gas and very little gear oil. Subsequently, the seals and bearings were toast. So I ordered bearings and all necessary seals. All in all, a very simple rebuild. Going to delete the mechanical fuel pump and run a Mallory marine 140.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did strait up gel coat in my bilge last time and it stained, but I think I'm just going to do single stage enamel this time (easier). I think it will stain no matter what you use if you don't clean it often. I'm sure this post will start some s##t! LOL!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Have you considered a two stage? Granted it would be a PITA, but I'm getting feedback that the stain resistance is much better.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
JBA
Registered

Looking good! Can't wait to see more.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Borgie
Have you considered a two stage? Granted it would be a PITA, but I'm getting feedback that the stain resistance is much better.
I haven't seen any difference between single or two stage as far as stains or durability. I was a Auto painter back in the day before I joined the Military. I worked at a high end shop, if it was a solid color we did single stage, if it was metallic we did base clear (because you can't do metallic paints in a single stage). And you could not tell the difference if the solid color was single stage or base clear.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

And to add to the auto body paint guru's that are going to respond it was Glasurit paint we used at that shop and you can not tell the difference between their single stage solid colors or their metallic base/clear.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

Thanks! It needed more work than I had anticipated, but I plan to keep this boat for a long time.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24
I haven't seen any difference between single or two stage as far as stains or durability. I was a Auto painter back in the day before I joined the Military. I worked at a high end shop, if it was a solid color we did single stage, if it was metallic we did base clear (because you can't do metallic paints in a single stage). And you could not tell the difference if the solid color was single stage or base clear.
Yeah good point. Thinking just get a decent white single stage and call it good. The challenge will be painting it in my garage this winter. Even though I live in Arizona it eventually gets cold here too. Was out on the lake with my dad yesterday and it was 80 degrees! Thinking about a kerosene heater with big time BTU's for this winter as I have to paint this bilge well ahead of spring which comes quite early here. Which leads me to my next project...... The outdrive
Old 11-04-2013, 10:47 PM
Banned

So about six months ago I find this boat in Texas. I contact the guy and ask him some questions on the boat. Seems pretty straightforward. I specifically ask him about up and down, side to side movement. He says he will check as I requested. Calls me back and says it's "tight" and very little play. Fast forward one week later when I take delivery of the boat. Everything is as described except the drive........ Go check it and it is sloppy as He**!!! So needless to say I'm pissed. My fault, but still...

Removed old crusty decals and prep for removal

After removing the outdrive I remove the bell housing. The next awesome finding.... Two of the stainless trim indicator screws are broken off inside the housing and one of the pivot pin threads is stripped!! Already in for either a repaired gimble via JR Marine including upgraded parts. I fully appreciate why they say "break out another thousand". Oh well, it's a 20 year old boat, so in a way it's to be expected.

I've been prepping the block and parts for the machine shop, so I haven't really done much else besides remove the steering and trim pump. Thinking about replacing the steering assembly/rack as it's a PITA to access and appears to be leaking slightly. I mean at this point I've got 99 problems, so why not replace it, only money...

Last edited by Borgie; 11-04-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.