93 Mirage 232 Trovare build >

93 Mirage 232 Trovare build

Notices

93 Mirage 232 Trovare build

Old 11-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My gimble ring is also worn and I will be sending it to JR Marine and then using their upgraded parts as well. You sure are getting a lot of work done quickly! I use a propane torpedo heater in the garage during the winter works good.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Banned

So I got some time during my sons nap to remove the complete transom plate today. It was pretty difficult and after a while beating the crap out of the studs(used a rubberized sledge), I found out why it would not just pop off....

Guessing there might have been a leak... Maybe some salt water?

Other stud

Tiller arm looks like its toast as well

The mounting hole in the transom is trashed, so I plan to just grind out the damaged area and maybe glass in some new wood, and re bore the hole. The rest of the transom is solid.

Hoping I can salvage the transome plate by a good soak with penetrating oil, some heat and my trusty pair of vice grips.

UPDATE: Soaked the badly corroded stud for about 30 mins, and lightly heated the back of the transom plate to get some expansion. And this happened which I kind of expected....

Fortunately, there was just enough material to get it out. To be honest, I figured this would need to be sent out to JR as well. All in all I'm happy, as I had planned to replace all of the studs anyways.

Last edited by Borgie; 11-14-2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool build, love all the pics!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MINK
Cool build, love all the pics!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited to have it out on the lake, hopefully this spring if everything goes as planned.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Now that everything has been removed from the transom I was able to take a closer look at the transom opening. Looks like the bottom half is rotten.... Drilled some pilot holes to confirm and it is soft on the bottom half. Going to see if I can get away with a partial replacement. Might just be better to do the entire transom. Oh and to top it off my iphone took a ride in the washing machine..... Maybe I should go buy on lottery ticket, on second thought.... Should have more pics in a few days
Old 11-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the bilge paint the stuff I'm using is just a white rustoleum with a epoxy hardener. Dries fast and hard and don't stain at all...the hardener you can get at tractor supply
Old 11-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by justbassing
For the bilge paint the stuff I'm using is just a white rustoleum with a epoxy hardener. Dries fast and hard and don't stain at all...the hardener you can get at tractor supply
Thanks for the suggestion. I have some time to decide as Im rebuilding the transom right now. TO UPDATE: The stringers are rot free. The only part of the transom that showed slight moisture was right in the area of the badly corroded stud. All of the wood was solid, so that makes me feel much better. Had my father take a look after I scarfed a large section down. He is completely confident a partial rebuild is overkill for what is there. As mentioned he use to race and build unlimited hydroplanes, so he has a vast amount of experience with this. Has also done quite a few I/O boats in his time as well.

I will be sure to update this thread with pictures and progress after my cell phone is replaced or functional. Not having one is a real PITA. Dont realize how much we rely upon technology for daily communication until its gone.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned

Over the weekend I bought a RotoZip saw and decided to do some exporitory cutting. The resulting damaged area( lower half) is exactly what I anticipated.

The bottom half was slightly damp in the middle with very little "Rot"

Box of goodies for the gimble and transom rebuild. Studs, washers, seals, gaskets, bolts and whatnot. Mercruiser "whatnots" are pretty damn expensive! Lol

Now it's time to decide if I'm going to remove the rest of the transom, or do a partial replacement, overlaying 3/4 plywood. Going with US Composites vinyl ester resin, 1708 biax and some assorted other things. Need to locate some fairly void free 3/4 outdoor plywood. If I opt to replace the entire transom, I plan on relocating the drive cutout to gain some speed while I'm at it. Decisions....decisions!

Last edited by Borgie; 11-26-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned

Ok after contemplating this and speaking with several pros, I've decided to do the complete transom with laminated 3/4 plywood (same as original but better wood). Now I need to calculate materials and order all of my glass supplies. Going to finish scarfing out the entire transom this week if time allows. Pics to follow!
Old 12-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Banned

UPDATE: getting ready to remove the rest of the transom. Once this is complete, I will order the vinyl ester and rest of supplies. Block was just finished, machinist is balancing the rotating assembly as we speak. Went with Akerly&Childs moly top, Napier 2nd and low tension oil rings. Great company to deal with when you need custom rings!

Just purchased some KE thunder & lightning cast headers with 18 inch dry tails, so the cam is no longer restricted. Thinking its gonna be loud . Should be posting progress pics soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.