Pachanga 22 Alpha to Bravo swap >

Pachanga 22 Alpha to Bravo swap

Notices

Pachanga 22 Alpha to Bravo swap

Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pachanga 22 Alpha to Bravo swap

I purchased my boat last year with a Alpha/SEI behind a stroked 454 (hp?) estimates were 500+ hp but not sure. I never launched the boat hard as I wanted to keep the drive intact and never had an issue with its performance but thought a Bravo would be a better match for my motor setup.

I was able to find a 2000 Ebbtide with a BBC/Bravo 1 that I bought as salvage so I stripped it of everything I would need to convert my 27 year old Alpha components to the newer Bravo. I also decided to install the tilt steering in the Pachanga and the Merc 3000 shifter as my original had slop and some broken bits but thought why not step it up and boat a Livorsi so...

One thing always leads to another so not only am I swapping the outdrive but also the shifter, steering, gauges, adding second battery, upgrading stereo and a few other minor items.

Im always open for advice so throw it at me...

Pics soon to follow
Old 02-03-2014, 11:50 AM
JBA
Registered

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of this build. I also have an 87 P22 that I would like to finish someday.
Be careful not to let the balsa core get wet. The drain plug screws and the speedometer pickup screws let enough water in over the years to completely rot the balsa all the way up to the windshield.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Registered

1987 Pachanga 22

Getting ready to pull stroked 454

It's out

About to pull old steering & intermediate assy

Empty bilge

Will clean up motor and replace gaskets, add raw water pump etc

Getting dash prepped

Livorsi gauges

Bilge with new paint

Livorsi shifter test fit

Last edited by Fast N Loud; 02-03-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered

Sweet I need to brava swap my 88 changa. It's just a stock 330 for now but it's getting some bolt on goodies once it warms up enough to un winterize it. Did you go with the Livorsi shifter that's the same style as stock or a twinstick? What's speeds are you getting out of it?

Last edited by beaver 3; 02-03-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Ifail auto correct
Old 02-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Registered

Hey JBA, the wood is solid on this one. I haven't found any rot in the transom. I decided to remove the speedo pitot since I'm going GPS and had the holes filled/sealed.

Beaver the Livorsi is the side mount single control. pretty much a direct replacement for the stock Merc shifter. It ran mid 70's running the Alpha with a 28 pitch Power Tech 3 blade. Curious to see what it will do with the new outdrive setup.

What bolt on's you doing to it?

Do you guys have any photos? I love seeing what others have done and see what ideas I can borrow ;-)
Old 02-04-2014, 05:19 PM
Registered

Get job you might want to convert over to led light if you got the engine out make easy now you got the room to
Rewrite now . And add a drain hose for you oil make it lot easy to change oil down the road
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

Scarab I've already added an LED transom light and bought a new LED low profile bow light to add along with a set of blue LED strip lights for the interior. I hadn't thought of the drain hose, that sounds like a good idea!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 AM
Registered

Hi, good to get rid of the old Alpha but note that when you install the Bravo you need to adjust the trim stop as it will run up into the swim platform. A Bravo is too big for the Pachanga and you will not be able to trim it very high. Going onto the beach will not be possible as your drive will still be below bottom. My friend did it on his and it is worth while but just needs a bit of care when approaching beach etc. Also take care at the boat landing if it is not a nice long slope.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knallan77
Hi, good to get rid of the old Alpha but note that when you install the Bravo you need to adjust the trim stop as it will run up into the swim platform. A Bravo is too big for the Pachanga and you will not be able to trim it very high. Going onto the beach will not be possible as your drive will still be below bottom. My friend did it on his and it is worth while but just needs a bit of care when approaching beach etc. Also take care at the boat landing if it is not a nice long slope.
Thanks for the heads up! I will be sure to check it and adjust!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 342 Posts

Great job! And glad to see someone use there head and buy a donor boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.