Upgrading a 260hp 350 >

Upgrading a 260hp 350

Notices

Upgrading a 260hp 350

Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by So2fast5u
Yeah take a walk threw your local dirt track pits and look for vortecs. Only place u will find them are in the crate class. They are junk....
I never said they were the best thing since the string on a tampon, read my post:

As far as looking for heads, find a dirt track guy that has blown up or replaced a 602 crate motor. you can get the heads and intake all in one shot, and those would be vortec heads.
I'm just telling him where he can find the parts.

I get it, you are a small block God and run race cars. Good for you. Keep trying to start a pissing match and we can have another potentially informative thread go right down the $hitter.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm personally new to the boat market, but have literally grown up with a wrench in my hand. I've been doing 12 volt wiring for 20 years. I wire limos, fire trucks, custom stereos and race cars. But my true passion is drag racing. I've helped build some pretty nasty street cars capable of running upper 6's in the 1/8th, that are driven to the track. I'm also building a 700hp BBC for my 79 Camaro that will also be a street legal car.

I always wanted a boat and bought my current one cheap. I like to go fast, but is also like fishing and cruising with family and friends. I'm trying to build a nice, all purpose boat with a healthy, reliable engine. I will be adding side exit captains call exhaust on my boat.

I'm going to be using the Vortec heads on this build. I appreciate all the input and never meant to stir the pot on this forum. I truly value all your input and take it all into consideration.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2014, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It doesn't take any type of magic to get 350-375 horse from a 350 small block. In fact you have to purposely mismatch parts and retard the timing to 20 total not to make it. Are vortecs the best, not by far, but OP has stated he is on a budget.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
I never said they were the best thing since the string on a tampon, read my post:

I'm just telling him where he can find the parts.

I get it, you are a small block God and run race cars. Good for you. Keep trying to start a pissing match and we can have another potentially informative thread go right down the $hitter.
nce the string on a tampon, read my post:

I wish i was a small block god!! I have done very well with them. Not trying to start a pissing match at all. I just have been threw this many of times and there are much better heads for about the same $$ The vortecs will work tho. After yrs of racing engine very similar to this u tend to get a idea of what works best.
GM put them in the trucks and not the hot rod cars for a reason!!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

No to sound like I am putting down the OP but the fact of matter is he has a Cobia Family Runabout. I know by some of his post that he has a lot of time in & ???? money as this was a problem child of boat / motor to take on. Anyways this boat is only going to be so fast and controllable up to certain point. After that certain point, the boat could be undrivable.

Just saying maybe take a look at older used Checkmates - late 80's early 90's or even something like a 1995 - 225 Crownline with a carb 454 bravo app for reasonable money Both for production boats were well built and did not see the normal wood rot and dry rot that most of the other production boats seen during that timeframe. Both brands / model here could handle low 70's without problems.

I have been in the Cobia brand of boats before and down the road, Yamaha bought them out but they did away with all sterndrive power apps and went to Cobia CC boats with all outboards. FWIW.

No offense again IMO hot rodding your current boat with the time and money might not be the route to go. I would find a deal on a more sport type style boat app. I think older Checkmates might be worth a look for you and really seem like the boat you are trying to make currently. Good luck.

Last edited by BUP; 10-24-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by So2fast5u
Yeah take a walk threw your local dirt track pits and look for vortecs. Only place u will find them are in the crate class. They are junk. SB u are a bmfer. 15 mph with crummy brodix in heads wow. There just as sucky as vortecs. U are my hero. Think u can help me hit 200 mph in my 85 chevy dually with a 305 on 87?
BMFER ?

Don't know what that means.

Anyway, go ahead, doubt me. I don't care.

And yeh, that boat I mentioned will change 1mph with 10mph. In fact, with a stock everything motor, it gained almost 3mph going from the normal quadrajet intake to the High Bowtie one.

Most 21ft boats and under will probably gain 8-10mph with the recipe I've given....yes, on a good health stock Merc 5.7 bottom end. Edit in: Unless the boat plows thru the water like a ski boat.

Call me a liar. i don't care. You'll just lose out on good info. No sweat off my back.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
No to sound like I am putting down the OP but the fact of matter is he has a Cobia Family Runabout. I know by some of his post that he has a lot of time in & ???? money as this was a problem child of boat / motor to take on. Anyways this boat is only going to be so fast and controllable up to certain point. After that certain point, the boat could be undrivable.

Just saying maybe take a look at older used Checkmates - late 80's early 90's or even something like a 1995 - 225 Crownline with a carb 454 bravo app for reasonable money Both for production boats were well built and did not see the normal wood rot and dry rot that most of the other production boats seen during that timeframe. Both brands / model here could handle low 70's without problems.

I have been in the Cobia brand of boats before and down the road, Yamaha bought them out but they did away with all sterndrive power apps and went to Cobia CC boats with all outboards. FWIW.

No offense again IMO hot rodding your current boat with the time and money might not be the route to go. I would find a deal on a more sport type style boat app. I think older Checkmates might be worth a look for you and really seem like the boat you are trying to make currently. Good luck.
I do agree with you, but I currently love the boat as it is. Granted, it will never be an open bow power boat....but I want a nice all around boat that will boogie whe I want it to. It currently runs about 50, but I know i want a tad more. I am more than mechanically capable to handle the work and am not afraid to do so.

I did my research and knew about Cobia/ Robalo and how they were bought by Yamaha. I like the lines of the boat and it rides well too.

My nxt boat will most likely be a 225BR with a BBC, but right now my pocket book is restricting me. I know I have done a TON to this boat already, but I knew what I was getting myself into also. Since I have aa oil pan leak I was going to do a mild upgrade while the engine was out.

Thanks for looking out though, I truly appreciate it.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. Just sometimes hitting a brick wall with boats can be so frustrating and wasted money out of pocket. Glad you did not take my post to heart as I was not beating you up.

I have tried to help you out as well in a few of your posts getting things in order. Good luck. I have to run now to go work on boats because that's what I do for a living and I have to pay the bills every month. Thank god I have a great wife and earns a decent living.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered

I've come a LONG way with this boat. It runs near perfect as it is, but I can't leave well enough alone!! LOL

Last edited by Jonesyfxr; 10-24-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:14 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,197 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
It doesn't take any type of magic to get 350-375 horse from a 350 small block. In fact you have to purposely mismatch parts and retard the timing to 20 total not to make it. Are vortecs the best, not by far, but OP has stated he is on a budget.
2fastforvortecheads has bigger issues than we thought.
Grab some popcorn and read all this:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...please-17.html

And then some searches and you'll see him asking for aluminum prop advice, and then Holley carb tuning advice,,,,,,,,,,but yet, he says he's the exspurt.

LMAOF.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.