Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
1977 Scarab 300 resto&tech advice needed. >

1977 Scarab 300 resto&tech advice needed.

Notices

1977 Scarab 300 resto&tech advice needed.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking scarab I like the color scheme, ok that is good to know did not now 77's were all 350's, I think there is a lot you can do with the SBC engines, seems like you can match big block power pretty close, obviously, and save a little weight at the same time, BBC has some good torque though but I was looking at stroker kits, like 383 stroker small block, basically 30 over 350 with 400 SBC crank shaft, you do have to do light machine work to bottom of block to get rod caps to clear due to the longer stroke have read this is good way to get torque and hp out of the 350, yes I thought I of the same as for as forced induction I think some roots style super chargers would be awesome poking through the engine hatch but awful expensive when you look at the kits X2, I own my own shop and business I do diesel light to heavy truck engine and truck repairs work on heavy equipment and fabricate things, I have built some really powerful diesel engines and used tuners to minipulate the engines so you can have the power when you want it, but save fuel when you dont, need it, thought some 6.0 PSD'S or 6.6 duramax would be awesome in one of these but marine gear for the duramax is very pricey and I don't think they make marine gear for the 6.0 PSD, plus I don't know how the transom and what not would like the extra 2,000ibs, so for now I am stay with gas, but back to forced induction you can always buy yourself a couple of Detroit Diesel 6v71 or 8v71 blowers and convert them to super chargers and buy the adapter for blower to heads, I have seen these detroit blowers sell cheap seems like a good way to save $$$ if you are DIY person. Anyways I was reading an article the other night on a 500hp SBC on pump gas build I will find it and post it.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Read my mind on the duramax stuff....I own a custom bus and horse trailer company down here that has a full fab shop as well. I think the plan for this season is to drop a new 350 in and call it good until the winter comes and then maybe twin duramax motors with standalone controllers. Doing that will have to swap out the old trs drives due to the torque. Detroit chargers is a great idea that I hadn't thought of.....nascar guys are making a reliable 800hp on the sbc, but I'm assuming for that kinda coin you would be able to do a bbc swap. I've got to keep telling myself that the boat is 40 years old and every penny is a penny lost.....don't wanna go broke yet lol
Old 03-13-2016, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

You will spend 2 to 3 times the money to convert a diesel blower over to gas. If you want to go the supercharger route keep an eye on the swap shop here or over at scream and fly forum. Have you thought about going the turbo route? If I could get my hands on one of these 30' Scarab cheap and had time to do another project I would put a pair of 6.0 LS engines in it. You can make 450-500 hp with a stock long block with a cam change and tuning to keep it EFI. There are a few threads in the general section of guys that converted to LS power. Think about it, a engine that weighs less than a iron headed 350 small block that makes big block power for less than what it would cost to build a 383.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
You will spend 2 to 3 times the money to convert a diesel blower over to gas. If you want to go the supercharger route keep an eye on the swap shop here or over at scream and fly forum. Have you thought about going the turbo route? If I could get my hands on one of these 30' Scarab cheap and had time to do another project I would put a pair of 6.0 LS engines in it. You can make 450-500 hp with a stock long block with a cam change and tuning to keep it EFI. There are a few threads in the general section of guys that converted to LS power. Think about it, a engine that weighs less than a iron headed 350 small block that makes big block power for less than what it would cost to build a 383.
+1
Old 03-14-2016, 05:23 AM
Registered

Nice project. Here's the link to my build on a 1979 Formula 255 Liberator: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...or-update.html

I caught a great deal on the "Built" 355's for mine or I would have gone the LS route. Iron head LQ-9's from 2003~2006 Escalade's and Denali's are plentiful and make GREAT power and TQ with a Cam change and a bit of tweaking.

The BIG difference maker in making power with the SBC's is the Vortec heads. I dyno'd over 400 HP and 400# TQ using Vortec heads and a Comp Extreme Marine Hydraulic Roller that is mild enough to have good dock manners but builds some serious TQ south of 4000 RPM...which is where you want it.

This might answer some questions for you...feel free to ask about any thing.

John

Last edited by sprink58; 03-14-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I may have more interest in the LS conversion, I'm assuming there is a standalone controller for these engines? What about coupling to the transmission? I've got a great running 6.0 out of a 2004 Chevy truck, would this work as one or are the Denali engines tuned more aggressively
Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Registered
Gold Member

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/transmi...on-swap-gen-3/
Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Just wrote up all the details on LS Gen 3 swap into Gen 1, and what I know on TRS Drives and my experience at building engine mounts but for some reason my post never posted it just vanished, but anyways that link is a could start read it the crank shaft fly wheel flange seems to be key but I don't see why it couldn't be made to work on TRS
Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TruxtonFox
I may have more interest in the LS conversion, I'm assuming there is a standalone controller for these engines? What about coupling to the transmission? I've got a great running 6.0 out of a 2004 Chevy truck, would this work as one or are the Denali engines tuned more aggressively
Yes...different heads and cam. The regular 6.0 in pickups is a LQ-4 I believe where as the Escalade/Denali 6.0 is the LQ-9.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Registered

Great article...thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.