Notices

Re-Chroming

Old 04-27-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-Chroming

Anyone know what ballpark cost figures for re-chroming things like louvers, cleats, railing/support brackets and hand rails might be? I have no clue if this might be ~ $10, $25, $50, $100, $100+ per piece.

If re-chroming is crazy expensive, is there a spray paint that can be used to spray these chrome?

Thanks in advance for your help!

- scott -

p.s I have now contacted 2 local companies that do chroming work, neither would touch what I am looking for because they only do large scale work for companies....any idea who can do some small scale re-chroming?

Last edited by scottgjerdingen; 04-27-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: added spray paint question & supplier question
Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

I looked into getting a zero effort throttle/shifter chromed and it was damn near expensive as buying new ones.. Chrome plating is not epa friendly . As far as paint there is stuff like spectra chrome. I tried that on said throttles and it has yellowed in the sun after a couple years.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 178 Likes on 115 Posts

Re chroming is expensive at best. Quality and price depends on material, condition-pitting etc., and desired quality.
Chinese aftermarket replacements will most likely be much cheaper.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Registered

As stated above, re chroming isn't cheap.....but there is an alternative:

Powder coating. With today's coating technologies there's almost an endless color/ finish veriations to chose from. May I suggest possibly coating the cleats the same color as your accent colors? Just some thoughts, good luck and if you make a decision, post photos of course!
Old 04-27-2016, 10:55 AM
Registered

Is powder coating something I can do or does it need to be shipped out? (I am unfamiliar with this)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

You can do you own Powdercoating in your garage starting with an old stove you pick up off of Craigslist. Do a little digging around your community, and I bet you will find someone doing this in their garage. You might even find someone on Craigslist. There are lot of videos of Powdercoating on YouTube.

I looked into having some bucket race cleats re-chromed locally, and the local expert shop would not touch them. WTF?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:27 PM
Registered

I wonder how those chromed up hogs get their work done? I may just run with the powder coat idea and not even attempt to simulate a chrome or platinum, I may chase after an actual color and incorporate it into my paint scheme.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

G&H Metal Finishers
Paterson,NJ 973-523-0307
Old 04-29-2016, 05:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

We have been sending out our motorcycle chrome to 2 places for 20 years. They do aluminum and steel, one has done magnesium for us with so-so results. Sport Chrome in California 714-799-9900 and Browns Plating in Kentucky 270-554-1146. Browns will be more expensive. Do not be shocked, chrome plating is beautiful done right. In a boat I would polish the stainless and aluminum. Powdercoat all other metals. By the time you buy the powder, the gun, the oven, strip the parts just find someone local that does it. There are even clear powdercoats to go on polished parts to protect. Chrome is Chrome. Spray ons, PVD, "chrome" powdercoat do not duplicate true old fashion chrome. Believe me, if there was a shortcut, my customers would not have $10,000 + in chrome bills when building their bikes.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 04-29-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree there issue no replacement for chrome. However I just had all of my deck hardware powder coated because of the expense. I found a local guy that was recommended from a friend. I broke everything down for him. I sent 4 pop up cleats, 4 air scoops, gas filler and cap, both lifling rings, dash, hatch hinges, front and rear light covers, and the thru hull bilge pump fitting. He blasted and powder coated all of these for 140.00. I did gloss black. It looks good and gave the boat more of a modern look.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.