Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 02-04-2023, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 304 Likes on 146 Posts

Does the Australian owner ever fly in to run the boat and what was the original build budget vs what is actually into this thing!?!?!? Gotta be getting up there!!
Old 02-04-2023, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 178 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Does the Australian owner ever fly in to run the boat and what was the original build budget vs what is actually into this thing!?!?!? Gotta be getting up there!!
I can’t imagine how much money is in this boat!
Old 02-04-2023, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 923 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by ksalmine
Scania D13 have electronic controlhe500, it might have different wheels. Probably I have one disassembled unit and can take measurements. They are controlled by CAN bus, some company from Island make standalone contoller for those.
Actually most of the new electric assisted spool units I've been looking at are CANbus controlled. While a great option, on this setup, the LMM ECU has actuator control and position feedback built in. So tune tables in place, just currently not being utilized. That leave the option to run any 0-5v sensor based controllers. I've tagged a couple of MB units that would likely work on any VGT turbos with an external control rod.

However when not messing with Voodoo, hacking CANbus is how I spend the majority of my day. So...

Pic from a little Raspberry Pi test bed running Signal K Server. Maybe for involving live stream video, with full onboard telemetry data overlay...

The following users liked this post:
ksalmine (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 11:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Dave was last here when Covid hit, and the first hour on the clock test run. Which resulted in that lower unit grenading, and several months of down time. Never made it on plane. 100hrs on the meter later, he's yet to enjoy a full speed ride. However a few other OSO members have logged some hours, if that counts. Plan is to finally get back together and do some poker runs or long distance events this next summer. And Voodoo is probably residing here in the states for foreseeable future. But I could certainly use help from the community getting him back on an airplane. After a near heat stroke at LOTO, my days of solo testing are done. LOL..

Originally Posted by flat rate
I can’t imagine how much money is in this boat!
The exact figure, probably about half what TG has in his high speed diesel project to date. If we dropped all the powertrain in a brand new Outerlimits hull tommow, still be less coin than a new Cig CC with quad outboards. And still faster in this old straight bottom Baja. Lets just say the labor rate agreed to six years back, remains intact today. Sometimes it's more about the love of accomplishing what many before have tried. And after the last couple runs, she's damn near there. Just tidying up some loose ends that have plagued us since pre-covid days. Then I'll feel safe blasting 200 miles non-stop anywhere, in under 6ft seas. She is a beast fully cranked up..
The following 4 users liked this post by kidturbo:
bulletbob (02-24-2023), Gimme Fuel (02-09-2023), Quinlan (02-07-2023), Twin O/B Sonic (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 02:36 AM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
The exact figure, probably about half what TG has in his high speed diesel project to date..
any news about that project?
Old 02-05-2023, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 1,970 Likes on 781 Posts

Bingo!

My favorite tee shirt says-

“You bought yours, I built mine”

Sometimes I look at my twin OB conversion/project and think WTF?

Then I walk away w/ a shiiit eatin grin on my face.

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Sometimes it's more about the love of accomplishing what many before have tried.
The following 2 users liked this post by Twin O/B Sonic:
bulletbob (02-24-2023), kidturbo (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 07:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Markus
any news about that project?
Grabbed a burger and caught up a bit at LOTO. Being a dad taking priority these days. One engine had ingested some water and hydro'd on last outing. Bent a rod and scored bottom of a skirt. I suggested just run a hone down it, replace the rod, and go get more valuable data. He's talking about swapping the C's with the new diesel rotary design he's been working on. Which also falls into that, "been attempted but never accomplished" realm of mechanical engineering.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dave, did you eventually get Voodoo finished and to Sydney?

Last edited by DRA9ON; 02-16-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 12:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,164 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by DRA9ON
You don’t have to read back over too many posts to find the answer to your question but I’ll save you the time anyway…..

Don't bother driving in from Cowra for a ride this Easter. 🙂

RR
The following users liked this post:
DRA9ON (02-17-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DRA9ON
4 years ago yesterday, we set the engines into Voodoo.

3 years ago last week, Dave and I were in Florida and Voodoo was pumping water for the first time.

Two weeks later, we went for the first test run, and a lower unit failed before ever getting her up on plane.

We removed the drives, sent both out for repair, the same week Covid first showed up in Florida. Dave said "I'm going to Australia, meet you back in Sarasota in 2 months."

A year later, I returned to Florida, and spent two more years waiting for him to show up. I got delayed a bit with the whole Covid thing, so maybe I missed him. But last I heard, he bought a farm somewhere up the coast in the hills of Queensland, and hasn't been seen nor heard from since...
The following 3 users liked this post by kidturbo:
Hoodoo 2.0 (02-18-2023), ksalmine (02-19-2023), rak rua (02-18-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.