Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels >

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 09-25-2019, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Without reading this whole thread again to see if I missed it...but what is it that you do for your regular career? I thought I remember you saying this was a side thing?
Old 09-25-2019, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 395 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
Without reading this whole thread again to see if I missed it...but what is it that you do for your regular career? I thought I remember you saying this was a side thing?
He sells Encyclopedias door to door 😎
Old 09-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,248 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker

He sells Encyclopedias door to door 😎
I thought it was Hoover vacuums
Old 09-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 923 Likes on 308 Posts

Currently full time boat mechanic, and part time web blogger..

Previous 25, IT contractor / network engineer who traveled the world building internet infrastructure. But my last contract managing major backbone facilities for big T, burned me out to the point I considered going Ed Snowden on their ass. Luckily I walked away quietly, or I'd probably be that guy hiding in Russia doing TV interviews about my new book on why you shouldn't trust governments or big telcos... So this boat gig is like therapy for recovering Ex-spooks...
Old 09-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,248 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Currently full time boat mechanic, and part time web blogger..

Previous 25, IT contractor / network engineer who traveled the world building internet infrastructure. But my last contract managing major backbone facilities for big T, burned me out to the point I considered going Ed Snowden on their ass. Luckily I walked away quietly, or I'd probably be that guy hiding in Russia doing TV interviews about my new book on why you shouldn't trust governments or big telcos... So this boat gig is like therapy for recovering Ex-spooks...
We have similar backgrounds, 35+ yrs in Telecom currently 10 yrs on one of if not the largest VOIP network in the US, 85K sets on the network, Ken's are good guy's.......
You should be commended on the work you've done on this project for yourself and the owner, bravo...

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 09-25-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:32 PM
Registered

Thanks man. I'm going 24x7 trying to get things wrapped up so we can all see this hardware combo perform.

Pretty much done with the electronics for now. Tomorrow we final fit turbos and exhaust, and weld up last couple intake pieces. Got jerked around for two months waiting on custom threaded turbo adapter pieces we needed, finally had change up the design to something we could build in house. Once turbos are on it's down to PS and alternators, then she should pump water at least.

New screws for all helm panels came in few days back. My super security senses tell me not to many people gonna have a bit that fits these screws in their thief kit. Yes they are available at harbor freight, but I broke one of those installing first two screws.. Better have a good quality tool set on hand to get into this dash. lol

I'm not for certain the Axioms built-in GPS is gonna cut it. In this metal roof building my Toughbook, cell phone, and that little DD pulse output GPS under the dash all get a good gps signal lock in under a minute. But the Axiom MFD won't even see a bird. So I pulled the boat outside to give it a clear sky view, and after 15min, still no GPS lock. Did a full factory reset, not sure what's up now, will try again tomorrow. Possibly the aluminum panel is f-ing it. So that cool wireless phone charger might get booted off the boat for a puck GPS if the issue doesn't resolve itself.

Not to be deterred, just hacked the N2k network to feed the radio and MFD some fake GPS data [along with all engine parameters] to verified everything is talking. Hacking a modern boat electronics is pretty much childsplay these days. Just takes a decent laptop, software, and a little Arduino board.. It's a good thing this Simrad radio doesn't transmit AIS data, cause every commercial boat in the area would had spotlights on looking for a ghost ship out here tonight...

Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 1,969 Likes on 780 Posts

Way cool dude!

If I hadn’t taken a real job, I’d be down there thrashing beside you.

Bought mama A functioning 25 foot Checkmade to play with while I finish my project and have the itch for an Ohio River run.
Maybe come your way before seasons end.

Going to Lake Erie this weekend to get our asses beat.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:46 AM
Registered

Pulled the boat to a local welding shop on Friday. Switched on the electronics before the drive, and the MFD did have GPS lock when we arrived. However accuracy was only showing 50-100ft. For now, guess we'll see how it acts out on the water.

While out of the shop I added another 40 gallons of diesel fuel. Enough to prove the old fuel level sensor isn't working. Add that to the list. But we did get a good bit of work done on the intakes. Can finally clamp everything together for good come Monday.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:00 AM
Registered

Also received the new etched rockers. Think they update the overall look by a decade or so.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:23 AM
Registered

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Lol!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.