Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 07-01-2020, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 1,389 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Your boat isn’t “heavy”
Compared to what? A carbon OL it is,LOL

Mike has ran his 95 small step (very close to this hull) across the scales and it was 9500 lbs. That is after subtracting trailer. I don't know if that is heavy compared to a similar size Baja but I would think this 40 with the Duramaxes is pretty heavy. Everything is supper sized on it!
Old 07-01-2020, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Your boat isn’t “heavy”
When I responded there was no talk about how" fat" your boat was , there were a few boats around here that responded well to 5 blades over the 4 blades and some were on the fat side .
Old 07-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of awesome stuff here.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Kidturbo, all the older Bajas that have #6 drives have 4 blades, even the ones with the notch I believe. So, isnt that the default or are you still trying more blades? Isnt a 4 blade the go-to for non-step V bottoms?
My experience on Bravo setups and diesel engines has been 5 blades work much better with the low rpm torque in fresh water at least. On my Warlock, slip numbers with heavily cupped 5 blades were 20-22% on the top end, but hooked up much better trying to get on plane with full load. It would blow the 4 blade props clean out of the water when the turbo lit.

Same issue was noted with the burgundy and silver bow rider Nordic that can be found any weekend out on Lake Havasu. In that case, same prop that pushed a BBC fine for years, wouldn't even stay on plane after a Duramax swap. Once we got it to plane, soon as you turned the wheel, it would unhook and couldn't get it back till ya came to a stop.. Imagine testing with someone who had driven a boat for years using same prop, and the only change was to the Duramax engine. They tossed a custom big cupped 5 on it, boat is amazing again. I see video of it dragging boarders and big tubes with standing room only onboard all the time now.. Only change was 4 to 5 and slight bit more pitch.

So does all this data transfer over to a surface drive? Can't say for certain at present time. Just know the 4's we have been testing have trouble staying hooked up below 50mph. The 6 blades we tried in FL seemed to stay hooked better, until she nosed over,, and then they were gone. So IMO it's more of a torque curve issue than hull issue. If I recall, maybe even back on page 1, this boat arrived to us wearing 17"x35P 5blades on the factory #6..

The following users liked this post:
2187 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 298 Likes on 142 Posts

Do you think the two speed trannies are just adding another variable to the problem right now? Maybe tryIng to get it on plane and running decent with standard single speed trannies would be easier to start, then switch to the two speeds if you wanted to try and get a little more top end out of it. Idk just thinking out loud
The following users liked this post:
hogie roll (07-06-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Registered

With the big single S476 turbos, and without two speeds, she won't make enough power to reach 15mph. It would need some major aeration tube work to even think about spooling. I've tried just starting out in high gear, and it won't come off of idle at WOT... lol.

So the two speeds are here to stay. In low range it's fairly easy to get things spooling. And also break loose the props with sheer torque while fully submerged. So I think current setup will work fine, soon as we get the shifting tuned in. It's just tricky when your not sure if prop is slipping or it's the transmission. But have added a sensor for that now.
The following 3 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (07-02-2020), Gimme Fuel (07-06-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (07-03-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Any news ?
Old 07-18-2020, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 19 Posts

VooDoo is in lockdown....
The following 2 users liked this post by 2187:
kidturbo (07-20-2020), rak rua (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 12:17 AM
Registered

Hi all, been feeling pretty crappy last 8 days, along with my wife. Crappy enough I've haven't felt like getting online much. So I'm pretty darn sick.. We run thru a drive-thru rapid testing center some mile away to get Covid-19 test last Monday. My wife works in public health and got tested only 3 days before at a clinic they put on. She had a couple aches and mild cough back then, but no temp. But her results weren't in by Monday when we drove to town.

Soon as we pull out of the rapid testing line, phone rings, her results 3 days ago was Negative. Hurray, in four hours we get our results by phone from that day, both Negative. Super it's just a cold or something, nothing to worry about since we live in a county with a total of 12 cases last time I checked.. And the area across the river is WV, and those counties are by no means HOT.. Were about as safe as you can get if we don't travel.

My 24yr old part time helper also helps out at pay pond just up the road where they held a 60k-usd tagged catfish tournament just a couple weeks before. People come from 500mile away, and of course, there was about a hundred, and we have just one little country store in that town I frequent. The normal population there is far under 100 total in that town any other time.. So I call him to say not to come in today, he's also down sick at same symptoms as wife and I. Well think I now I know where I probably go this bug, whatever it is. So we pretty much sat at home doing nothing so as not to pass it, until Friday morning when I wake with same 103.xF temp I've been running, but with only 88% O2 level. Wife freaks out, wants to load me up and go to ER, but ten minutes later I got it up to 94% and calmed here fears some.

So she calls my Dr. to see about getting a flu test or something to identify what we have. Soon as he hears my symptoms and stats, orders me to get a tru-lab hospital done Covid test, which meant another trip town on Friday. Said just got tested doc. He said might have been to soon, I don't trust those rapid test much. When your Doc places the orders for ya, no waiting in line at the ER offside facility. Nice.. However, he also graciously labeled us both as "Probable" on the paperwork and online charts, then ordered us to quarantine at home until ER results come in.. Which sucks because this was another out to a lab test, and places us into Full Lock Down status until results come back.... Thanks Doc.. And with what my wife does every day for work now, I sure as heck don't want to risk her career by someone spotting me out and we do show up Positive few days later. So now we have been setting around the house for past three days waiting, with wife feeling much better since Saturday, my helper reporting he was all good, but me still fighting violent chills, sweats, and fever bouncing 101F to 104F for 7 days straight now. I actually brought a couple O2 bottles into our bedroom just for good measure.

So I call my little helper and say you need to go get a covid test. He whined a bit, but when I said it's free and don't come back until you do, changed his mind.. So today he gets tested, along with a friend who stops by couple times per week at same Walgreens we went to. Both clean, Negative on a rapid. Great.. Tomorrow we if both come back neg, I'll feel pretty safe it's not Covid-19 and will pick up where we left off on the boat. But if we come back Positive, gonna mean nothing happens until 10 days after last symptom. Also puts into question accuracy of the rapid tests we all 3 took..

That's where, why and how we are setting at today. Transmissions are back, tone rings mount on the driveshafts, but I have to drag boat to a buddies garage 15miles down river where we pulled them out to chain back in. But unless I feel better for a couple days, I really don't feel safe dragging that boat anywhere.. Have another violent chill episode like I woke up to couple days including this monring, could be a little messy on the paint of the truck and boat at 60mph...

-K

Last edited by kidturbo; 07-20-2020 at 12:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kidturbo:
rak rua (07-20-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 12:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts

Sorry to read you're crook, wishing you and wifey a speedy recovery and hope your helpers will be lucky and avoid illness completely.
The boat can wait (sorry 2187) your health always comes first.

RR
The following 2 users liked this post by rak rua:
kidturbo (07-20-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (07-20-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.