40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Notices

40' Outlaw Upgrades - Twin 900Sc to 1000hp Duramax Diesels

Old 08-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by kidturbo
We tested doing spool vale setup on the dyno with the twin 61mm before going to the big singles. They did make a difference down low, but not as much as we expected. Turbos we have now, open scroll with V-Band mounts. No where to put a spool valve. But with a little help from a few tuning gurus, believe I have the no boost fueling issue resolved. Needs a little work still, but see how easily it comes up now on a cold run straight off the trailer. I shifted twice at low speed just to see if it smokes. Fixed That !!

https://youtu.be/kYaWjjHMuiU
Be careful. Some moronic Tesla owner may accuse you of "rolling coal".
Old 08-30-2020, 02:02 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Oh she'll roll coal, it's all over the transom..

Went back out Friday and logged a few more miles to test the changes. The additional fuel helped it get out of the hole much quicker, and lowered the shift speed about 10mph.

I also tried a new camera location to get better look at prop heights at speed. Mounted one on the stbd trim tab, but still catching a lot of spray, and exhaust. Tomorrow going to mount one in the center below exhaust and see how that does. For now, here's some footage at 40-60mph.

The following users liked this post:
2187 (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 1,905 Likes on 743 Posts

From I could tell/see, I don’t think drive height looks bad.

I would agree w/the earlier post about surface drives being able to carry the bow of a heavy boat at speed.
Read a story of I believe, two identical 32’ Pachanga’s.

Bravo boat ran good, carried bow well.
Arneson boat did not.

I know my OBs are same and we’ve already covered that.

Id also add, 67 while dragging one motor....., I’m liking the sounds of that.

Keep it up.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,249 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
the port engine was only spinning 2k, and had zero lbs of boost..
What was this problem? Fixed?
Old 08-30-2020, 10:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
What was this problem? Fixed?
Problem is gone.. Seems I never disabled the speed limiter in the ECM tune files, and when I added those GM TCM's to track propshaft and boat speed off GPS, lets just say it was human error... We got in rush last Monday and only hooked up the pulse GPS signal wire to the port engine TCM. Had we connected both transmissions to the GPS unit, it would have been a duh-huh moment when the whole boat shut down at 61mph... However once I reviewed the Port engine log data again, I noted that every time VSS touched 59mph, the fuel pulled back until speed dropped under 55mph. Check out that prop slip # below..

Unless Merc offers it, I may have just accidentally installed the first speed limiter on a high performance boat...

The following 2 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (08-31-2020), Gimme Fuel (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 11:55 PM
Registered

This past weekend was a roller coaster. Started off by frying both of my ECM programmers testing the VSS deal on the bench. So I drove to town to pick up some autoparts, and on the way home, bambi committed suicide on the bedside off my dually. Not deterred, jumped back on fixing some small issues on the boat.

Sunday afternoon change props to the 18x32's. I rig up 3 cameras [with sound this time] to get a better view drive height. Head to the boat ramp, single handed, because rest of the family all left to go boating without me earlier in the day. Take off slowly up river just to get some heat in the engines, and see how these props act now with more fuel. And they hooked up best of anything so far. To the point I just kept giving it throttle and the boat came right up on plane, without screaming 4k for 30 seconds.

So I lean into the throttle a little more, and hit 60mph to check the speed limiter issue. That problems gone, so give it a bit more fuel and notice the porpoise issue I ran into the other day was still there. So decide to try trimming out of it, to no avail. Put the tabs down a bit and it ceased. Back to neutral since camera mounted there, and give it some throttle. Easily passes 70mph, and then 75. I hear a squeal noise [with ear plugs in], and look back to see Starboard belt smoking. Coolant leak issue that I thought we resolved in FL, reappeared.. Then I look to Port and notice I've also blown 5+ quarts of oil all over the transom in the past two miles I just logged..

Seems I didn't get a turbo oil line tight at the -AN reducer down by the ECM when I rearranged them LATE last night.. And I take no extra oil with me because unlike the outdrives, They Don't Leak... So now I have coolant leaking out the reservoir on Starboard engine, a light on because the problem-some gearboox just drank another quart of 90w somehow, and Port is shut down covered in most of the oil that should be inside it.. To top it off, here comes all the family rolling up on two boats like hows it going?>>

Idled back to the trailer on Stbd and spent next hour cleaning the bilge.. Ah yeah, only came home with of 2 cameras. Seems my idea of mounting one on the steering ram and thinking I wouldn't turn sharp and bust the mount, all went out the window when had to put boat on trailer with a single engine.. Glad it was just a GP knock off version.. But I got some more video from the tab mount again at 76mph..

The following 2 users liked this post by kidturbo:
Gimme Fuel (08-31-2020), hogie roll (08-31-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 11:57 PM
Registered

Here is some video I captured today showing height at 60-76mph.

The following 5 users liked this post by kidturbo:
2187 (08-31-2020), Gimme Fuel (08-31-2020), hogie roll (08-31-2020), outonsafari (08-31-2020), PA.WOODCHUCK (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

In high gear or low?
Old 08-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Registered

That was in high gear. I shifted it at about 50mph.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

So, is it throwing a rooster at 76?

This would be another Kid turbo record setter = Baja throwing a rooster....
The following users liked this post:
kidturbo (09-01-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.