502 harmonic balancer

Notices

502 harmonic balancer

Old 10-31-2016, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 harmonic balancer

Hi There,

i discovered an oil leak on my last run from the front left side of my engine, much more of a splash only whilst i was WOT.

since it was the other side of the oil cooler and seems to be splashing onto my fuel filter i figure it might have been from the crank oil seal.

after removing the damper to change the oil seal, i noticed that the part of the damper which fits into the oil seal seems a bit rough, so i guessed i should get a new one installed "since i believe was the reason of the oil seal to leak oil on high rpm"

now! my local dealer does not have a damper available, however i managed to get hold of a damper 3963532 number embossed on the back of it, seems to be the right one however has a different number to my previous one
# 10216339.

has anyone used same damper ( 3963532 ) on a 502 mercruiser before? should it be OK?

please help!
Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ch with a GM dealer on what needs to be used, part # may have been changed, but they make a thing called a speedy sleeve that goes down on the balancer to make surface smooth again, may require the matching seal can't remember, but way cheaper than new damper
Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea definetly try to save the dampner, i have been able to polish them out if its not too bad ,gen 5 sometimes you can move the seal a skosh out of the timing cover and get it out of the worn spot.
That 454-502 mag stuff , sometimes has the same casting # but is balanced different.
It its toast try scoggins dickey , and try to cross from a 502 crate with rectangular port heads.