Fountain 47, 2372cid single engine diesel

Old 06-05-2024, 03:11 PM
Registered

Received 476 Likes on 371 Posts

That looks cool
Old 06-18-2024, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 391 Likes on 109 Posts

All glass work is done! Not long way to start rigging, engine room need light sanding, epoxy prime and polyurethane top coat. Transom fairing and same coating method there.
Side floors will make a lot of rigidy to main stringers and help engine maintenance.

1961 year tank engine oil consumption is very high and it will bleed some oil from exhaust at idle. Poor piston ring design is main reason. I tried pull crankcase to vacuum but it not solve problem complete. I found solution. Nissan RD8 truck engine pistons. They are only asian market vehicles and have 23 liter natural aspirated V8 diesel engines, but main thing is they share same 150mm bore than Transmash and compression height is close. I have to cut one piston half to see how much there is room to modify combustion chamber in piston to get compression ratio in check.

Nissan piston pin is larger but I can make bronze bushings to pin bore and use Transmash pins. I want smooth piston top for maximum quench area and swirl, Transmash piston is far from that. That way combustion will be much better and cleaner burning, maybe more power and better fuel efficiency.

Another problem have found too, valve seat rings are conical! it's catastroph, if it get loose, it will drop immediatly, not good. Head aluminium is forged little over seat face, they maybe work in stock engine but when I cut better valve job, 30 degree cut will take that forging off and risk is very high. Big block Ford intake seat is close for intake seat and small block chevy intake seat for Transmash exhaust seat. American V8 engine seats can be found easily made from powder metal that I want for this.

Have a nice midsummer party and don't drown pants at ankles!
The following 6 users liked this post by ksalmine:
AllDodge (06-18-2024), hogie roll (06-18-2024), IGetWet (06-18-2024), Markus (06-18-2024), Tartilla (06-23-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Have a nice midsummer party and don't drown pants at ankles!
Only Finns and Swedes have midsummer parties, which leaves you and me.

I'm on the US East Cost at the moment, so you will need to celebrate midsummer for all of us...

Keep up the good work and keep the posts coming!
The following 3 users liked this post by Markus:
AllDodge (06-18-2024), DougB (06-29-2024), ksalmine (06-18-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 02:55 AM
Registered

Received 391 Likes on 109 Posts

I cut new Nissan piston in pieces. They are pretty good pistons for Transmash. Thinnest part under bowl is 13mm and most of piston top is 17mm thick. Enough meat to machine bowl bigger to get right compression.
Does anyone in OSO have professional know how for diesel bowl design? I have tried to get information and think that deep re-entry bowl is best for overall performance and low soot, I want clean engine without smoke and dirty oil.

The following users liked this post:
DougB (06-29-2024)