Notices

Restore candidate

Old 04-12-2020, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Restore candidate

I have this 1986 Sleekcraft enforcer that I got cheap because somebody had not paid their inside store fees for a couple years. It was a lien sale.

It is 28 feet and has twin 330hp 454's with 1.32 gear ratio alpha's.

If the boat seems worth while to restore, my plan was to sell the 454's and put a couple of nice 383's with aluminum heads and aluminum exhaust to lighten the load.

I have never done fiberglass work or restored a boat.

I am committed to replacing the transom if needed and am willing to also replace the parts that the engines mount to if they are soft and I think they are. I am not willing to cut the floor out and replace stringers up towards the front of the boat. If it needs that, I'll part it out and then buck it up with a saw and take it to the dump.

I would like to pull some wood out of a few places with a hole saw to see what I have and would like to start with the stringers because if they are bad, I am not going to go any further. I was just going to pull out like a 1 inch core and then replace with with a dowel and epoxy.

My question is, are thevertical boards that make up the sides of the ski locker in the floor the stringers? They do not line up with the fiberglass covered wood that the engines mount to.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 04-13-2020, 02:50 AM
Registered

Received 603 Likes on 361 Posts

Not worth it. Clean it up and run it as is. Or part it out for $$, and find an old cig, fountain, formula, hustler, sutphen or velocity to restore.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

On the question about ski locker sides being stringers, there is no way to tell without getting a look under the floor. Stringers on opposite sides of bulkheads/separate compartments do not necessarily line up with each other down the length of the boat. Engine compartment stringers very often are different from the rest of the boat to accommodate engine mounting.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,472 Posts

Get that corona out of the boat........
Old 04-13-2020, 09:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 499 Posts

Well spotted ^^^
Old 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hogie roll
Not worth it. Clean it up and run it as is. Or part it out for $$, and find an old cig, fountain, formula, hustler, sutphen or velocity to restore.
Yeah, I do think about that. I am only in this thing for a couple grand, but I know these boats aren't really valuable even in nice shape.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,312 Likes on 639 Posts

Get it running, clean it up and enjoy it. Definitely do no do the engine swap. Small blocks would be going backwards.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 693 Likes on 277 Posts

I have a friend who has one, with a couple of built NA 454s and -2 shorties... 90+ mph boat and handles good.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 76 Posts

Alpha drives behind big blocks are a hand grenade with the pin pulled. They were a horrible combination that was (thankfully) only offered for one year. I'd pass.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Alpha drives behind big blocks are a hand grenade with the pin pulled. They were a horrible combination that was (thankfully) only offered for one year. I'd pass.
My initial post stated I was planning on switching to small blocks.......FYI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.