1990 Century Ultra III

Notices

1990 Century Ultra III

Old 05-11-2020, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 506 Likes on 279 Posts
Default 1990 Century Ultra III

Ok, so I have done some fiberglass repair on my old POS since I pulled the engines.
My goal with the boat is to run it for a couple of years until a decent hull comes along (something 30' to 35' that can handle Lake Huron) then put my drive train in it.
Last year I did the stringers on the stb side, the bulkhead at the engine compartment and some extra support for the hull under the engines. I thought I was done for a couple of years, or at least until I find a shell that I like better.
This spring, I noticed the floor in the cabin had de laminated from the substrate, no problem, or so I thought. Just pull up the floor and replace it right?
Once the floor was out I saw that the tabbing at the stringer (which was only on one side of the stringer, by the way) was moving, so I figured, no problem I'll do the stringers too!
I cut the loose glass, pulled it out and surprise!
All that was underneath was compost!
Gotta love balsa
So after some colorful language possibly a thrown item or two, a vision of running the chainsaw through it reminiscent of an old Boston Whaler advertisement!
I decided to try and make it safe at least
Now the rot is out, new balsa in and glassed, I would have had the stringer and bulkhead in this weekend, but ran out of resin yesterday.
Pretty happy with it, but the layer of 1708 I rolled out for under the stringer and bulkhead has more bubbles than I would have been happy with, but the resin gelled on me before I had it all rolled out.

The following 2 users liked this post by resurrected:
larslindroth (05-28-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (05-31-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So while waiting for more resin, I figured I'd check some more off the list
last night was finish the prep for the installation of the water pickups for the inter coolers
Last summer I first tried just free hand a hole saw, what a mess that was
Then I made the hole oversize then filled it with reinforced epoxy, and had to sleep on it to think of a way to solve this problem.
Due to the angle of the tube and the close proximity of the fasteners I made a jig and boring bar to cut it out

The following users liked this post:
larslindroth (05-28-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Last night I freshened up the trim cylinders on one side, the old "O" rings were hard and brittle. Should be good now!
larslindroth (05-28-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (05-31-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Transom gelled, ready for pickups, primary strainers and inter cooler strainers mocked up and the rotten core is pulled out of the cabin on the port side

The following 3 users liked this post by resurrected:
CT River Baja (06-01-2020), larslindroth (05-28-2020), smashm (05-27-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Transom looks great in pics.did you end up spraying the gelcoat or rolling.ill be doing my transom,hopefully soon.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thank you!
I sprayed it, my first time using gel. It was actually way easier than I was expecting. Just used one of my HVLP primer guns with the biggest tip I had. The only pain was cleaning the gun thoroughly between coats. 4 wet coats of gel, last one with air dry, next evening sand progressively to 1000 wet and quick polish
It was just a small area I sprayed, batches were 100 grams, I just used white even though my transom is red because I expect to be re-doing the transom in a few years (the wood is damp)
Next time I will buy an actual gel gun with disposable cup
Ratty206ls (05-29-2020), Twin O/B Sonic (05-31-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks resurrected. I’ve been reading and watching videos ,which kinda scared me onto rolling 😂
Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So an update on the progress
Engines are close to being ready to drop in, I have assembled them so they are completely modular, just plug in harness and water and good to go. Lots of little fabrication work to do, I was powder coating all the fabricated parts for the engines because they will be 100% no matter what I do with the hull in the future, but my oven died. I just want to get out this summer, so raw aluminum parts and rattle can paint will have to do!

larslindroth (06-28-2020), mitchie (07-30-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Glass work in the cabin is progressing slowly, one side is almost done, need to tidy it up and add one more layer of glass. I added a rib, not sure if its a good move to stiffen it up or not. Guess I'll find out

larslindroth (06-28-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exhaust and plumbing is complete, water and fuel. It's not pretty but this is just temporary. A couple of years at best
New fittings. lines and air pump for the mufflers.

larslindroth (06-28-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.