Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Mirage 217 -Bringing it back >

Mirage 217 -Bringing it back

Notices

Mirage 217 -Bringing it back

Old 06-25-2024, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Photo-wise, it's not very exciting as visually things didn't change all that much. Completed sealing all the foam with resin at the top.

Progress has been pretty good though. made the battery boxes out of Coosa and glassed them (mostly) Marked out the stringers and bulkheads, bedded and fastened all the floor in place, everywhere.

In thought I am planning the above-floor bulkheads to both reduce weight a little, and strengthen the boat.

After installing the floor, I decided that, although strong, the floor above the fuel tank had a hollow sound, due to the airspace above the tank. So foam above the tank it is.

I sloped the floor, and installed a floor drain piped directly to the bilge, and foamed in the remaining floor section.

Hopefully by compartmentalizing and gel coating all the segments, it will contain any future water ingress, instead of spreading the water everywhere.

Pretty much completely used up my last foam kit.

In the meantime, I glassed in quite a few detail areas of the engine bay, and perimeter of the floor with mat and a layer of 1708. That's the hard part. Laying mat on the flat is a breeze compared to the details. Hopefully there this week

I noticed the subwoofers had the paper surround completely disintegrated. I never looked closely, but the front speakers had the same issue. I ordered a complete set, with LED backlighting. I ordered a small fire-extinguisher cabinet. Hoping that looks good and protects the extinguisher from ambient weathering and rust. The cockpit one left rust stains before.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:22 PM
Registered

Quick photo of the floor flatness prep in getting ready for 'glass

First layer of 1708 on the main floor section, gotta go buy a little more cloth now

Last edited by DougB; 06-27-2024 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (06-28-2024)
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
Registered

Next layer of 1708 going on to the main floor. Today spending most of the day fairing everything, prepping the engine bay for more cloth and planning everything above the floor. I weighed doing some sections in carbon fibre just to be fancy, but then I'd have to use coosa in most places to get the black background colour. I opted for carboncore as it's a lot lighter and I don't need the mass of the coosa in most places.