Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
Mirage 217 -Bringing it back >

Mirage 217 -Bringing it back

Notices

Mirage 217 -Bringing it back

Old 07-23-2024, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Also, I don't know if any of you have a suggestion, but I am trying to track down a mystery leak from last year.

Originally I thought maybe I should get a go-pro type camera to track it down, but here's what's happening, and maybe one of you has an idea,

At lower speeds, no real issues, but on occasion, I do run up the speed (no one in our group gets too enthused when I open it up) when I do push things up say 55 mph and faster, the bilge pump comes on and yes I see water being pumped out.

A couple of thoughts were;

The seawater pump gaskets. It's happened before, but I have the newer one-piece replacement pump and I do not see any leakage around there usually.
The exhaust manifolds - again some rust and I have some replacements, but do not see any leakage there
The raw water intake. I've tightened the hoses, but maybe there is an issue there
The bellows area this seems less likely because at speed there is not much of it in the water

Anything else that you think I can bench-test to see where the water could be coming from?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2024, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

Make sure all you exhaust hose clamps are squarely on the hose. I had one that was cocked a little and was not sealing the exhaust water at full throttle. I was running about 30# of water pressure at WOT. Loosened the clamp and lined it up and fixed the leak. Drove me crazy for almost 2 seasons.
Old 07-24-2024, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
Make sure all you exhaust hose clamps are squarely on the hose. I had one that was cocked a little and was not sealing the exhaust water at full throttle. I was running about 30# of water pressure at WOT. Loosened the clamp and lined it up and fixed the leak. Drove me crazy for almost 2 seasons.
That's a great suggestion. I always drain the exhaust manifolds when winterizing so that's very possible. Thanks
Old 07-25-2024, 12:00 AM
Registered

Quite a long night, completing the wiring, adjusting the floor templates, temporarily removing the bolster seats and installing the side panels.
Unfortunately not quite enough time to compete all the details, just one more night to put most everything together and a few more lingering details.

There's a lot of potential once everything is done.

For now I am pretty happy

The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 05:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome!
DougB (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 11:49 PM
Registered

Probably the last bit I'll get done before I take it up to the lake. Run out of time pretty much. Things went okay tonight, a little easier than I thought and I deserved a night like that. Putting it together, there is a lot more of the restoration to clean up after this summer, but at least all the hard part is done and I can take my time afterwards.

The generic Amazon floor went in okay, no drama. Will see how it holds up.

87MirageIntruder (Yesterday)